May 29, 1453 - The End of a World

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Voulgaroktonou, May 28, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Those are really pretty. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Thanks for sharing the incredible story along with a very interesting coin. There is an apocryphal legend that one day Constantine XI will return to Constantinople and lead the Greeks in toppling the Turks, since his body was never found.

I was fortunate to take an upper division seminar at Berkeley in Byzantine history taught by leading expert on Byzantium Warren Treadgold back in the day.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    TheRed and Alegandron like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

For you podcast fans out there, I just discovered and began listening to The History of Byzantium Podcast, which seems quite promising.

I'm just at the beginning of Byzantine history so far, while this thread discusses the end of it, but the podcaster is somewhere in between, having reached 140 episodes and counting. So he's in it for the long haul and I salute his not-inconsiderable efforts.

I hope to learn more about Byzantine history on my rides to work.

Robin Pierson, the British podcaster, is, like many of us, a self-described fan of Mike Duncan's epic History of Rome series, and is deliberately emulating Duncan's format and style (only with a subtle British accent).

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a really exceptional specimen of the super rare issue but I would warn anyone wishing to get one that this of all issues really needs to be pedigreed as is this one "129". The attribution to Constantine XI for these coins is based on their being part of the hoard which was studied and documented completely. The value of the coin depends a lot on its association with the hoard because there are other coins of earlier rulers that could be mistaken for these but don't carry the premium of being the 'last' coins. I remember when the hoard came out that some of the lesser ones were really ugly and struck me as too easily confused with the cheaper ones in low grades (the OP coin is 'Prooflike' for these).

I have a larger coin (called half hyperpyron when I bought it in CNG51 but more recently termed stavraton). I consider it very important that it shows at the outer top the letters IW establishing it is not the rare coin of that size which starts KW. None of these are full legend but the people with illegible coins not linkable to the hoard literature who assume the may, maybe, have a Constantine XI are really fooling themselves. We tell people to buy from good sources. C XI is one you only buy with pedigree papers.

6. sidestick

sidestick Member

Thanks for a great post! Interesting and very informative with a nice coin that allows us to actually "touch" the history!

7. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

How sad to behold a coin that looks like something a grammar school dropout from Barbaria engraved. Compare it to a solidus of Zeno or Justinian. How the mighty have fallen.

Alegandron likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool! :) These two were gifted to me by a kind ancients collector and I like them very much. Nicephorus III and Romanus III from the Byzantine Empire.
    Nicephorus III-horz2.jpg Romanus III - horz2.jpg

9. Iosephus

Iosephus Well-Known Member

Great post! It reminded me of this medal of the penultimate emperor John VIII Palaeologus in my collection:

[​IMG]

It was created during his journey to Italy in 1438-1439 to seek support for his fight against the Turks and discuss a union of the Latin and Greek churches.

10. Voulgaroktonou

Voulgaroktonou Well-Known Member

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Wow, that is a spectacular coin!! Thanks so much for posting it.

I happen to have the very first issue of Mehmet II struck in Constantinople ("Konstantiniyye") after the conquest, an AR akce dated "5" for AH865 (1460-61). I've often wondered if there was any overlap in the mint workers pre- and post-conquest.

It also seems to be pretty rare, though way cheaper! :D

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.42.24 AM.png

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  12. ancient coin hunter

After having visited Hagia Sophia a couple of times my view is that it should revert to being a church rather than a museum.

13. Voulgaroktonou

A good point you make about checking the pedigree of any coins offered as C. XI. All those I have seen offered since 1991 go back to this hoard. There was a fake S2510a.jpg S2564.03.jpg offered in a European sale next week, and it has been pulled from the sale, I am happy to say. Yours is a nice John VIII. I have a fondness for these poorly struck, crudely engraved, but heavy stavrata, and buy any decent examples I can if the price is right. All too often, it is not. Most of the stavrata offered are those of John VIII, but occasionally the rarer John V examples also turn up. Attached are 2 of mine that show the stylistic differences between John V and John VIII.

dlhill132, Bing, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
  14. Voulgaroktonou

I totally agree with you!

15. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

It was also the title of a poem by Wilfred Owen written during WWI. He used the line ironically to describe what he saw as the wastefulness and horrors of wars.

gregarious and Severus Alexander like this.
  16. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

I had a thought that i wanted ALL rulers from the vast span beginning from Arcadius until Constantine 11. But that was before i realized that the price for a Constantine 11 is so high that you have to choose wheter you want many bronze, silver and gold of various rulers or wheter you want one rare silver. - I decided for the first opportunity.

Here my half stavraton of Manuel II, Sear 2552. - 3,68gram and 21,9mm:
    Manuel II Palaeologus 1l2 Stavraton 3,68g21,9mm  S2552.jpg

A Fallaro of Manuel II, sear 2559
    Manuel II S2559.jpg

17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I'd like posters to (always) give the diameters of the coins they illustrate. Images by themselves are not enough to tell how big a coin is (unless the denomination is so common we all already know).
    @Voulgaroktonou, how big is the OP coin? @Herberto, how big is the Fallaro of Manuel II?

18. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

That bronze of Manuel is 1,5 cm.

19. ancient coin hunter

@Herberto I actually have that Fallero of Manuel II - It's a coin I could never attribute - I figured it was from a Crusader state but I couldn't find a match for the reverse! It's a bit scuffed on the obverse but the reverse is fine. I'm glad that you posted it!

Herberto likes this.
  20. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

i remember that from a line in a poem written during WWl, i can't recall the poets name off the bat, but i do remember the poem.

21. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

wow.. i just mentioned that, thanks, i couldn't recall who, but even after 40 years, i could recall what. it made a big impression on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted