Littleton SCAM alert!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Half Dime, May 16, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

SCAM. SCAM. SCAM.

These are the 3 words I thought of immediately after today's phone conversation with an obnoxious, low-down representative. Here's the advice: don't buy from OR sell to Littleton! You will lose all of your money!

This is a buy/sell ratio of what they offered me for each coin:
    1881-S Morgan Dollar, PCGS MS63 (80% PL), $40/$174
    1992-S Silver Premier Proof Set, $11/$92.50
    1957-A Silver Certificate Star Note: $2/$19.25
    Silver Proof State Quarter (loose) $4/$27.95

I hang up by saying "I believe I'll take my business elsewhere, I don't wanna get lowballed. Bye." Didn't give her a chance to say anything, which is what the scums deserve.

I'm gonna rant on them a little since I'm already here. If you think that Littleton is a good company, please stop reading here because I'm about to bust every myth out of the water.

1: Snake-oil sales tactics: One example is of coins from the San Francisco Mint. They act like common coins, such as 60s-70s S pennies, are rare and limited-time by saying that "you can have an example from that esteemed facility".

2: I don't wanna start, or this thread would turn into a book.

I hope that you don't fall for the same scam. It's simply killing numismatics as the fact that some people think that Littleton is the only place to buy coins, and when discovering that they overpaid for them by being able to get them cheaper elsewhere, they get the idea that coin dealers are crooks. I really wish that new collectors would come to sites like this before buying overpriced, worthless coins that they think are valuable.

What is your opinion on the matter?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Didn’t several members warn you about Littletons less than desirable methods in another thread you had started?

4. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I don't know of ANY seasoned collectors who deal with Littleton.

philologus_1 likes this.
  5. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Yes, but nothing about selling was discussed. After reviewing the thread, I've decided that now, I wouldn't even take advantage of the $30 off $60+ deal. I feel that this was a better representation of how deceptive they really are.

Ditto. Once for me, and never again. That was in a great deal, but their deception is so hidden that collectors and dealers can't even beat them at their own game. I'd rather go to local coin shops and reputable online dealers.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just read a few of their ads and you’ll know what they are like.

7. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I didn't know they were still around. Is that the same company which also offered some really cruddy ancients, back in the 1970's?

8. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

Amen to that. Snake-oil sales tactics, sending you coins you don't want, and overcharging are all included in a somewhat "indirect" ad.

I'm not really sure about the ancient coins, as I wasn't around in the 70s, but their cruddy coins today include "uncirculated" coins in holders, selling them for way more.

It's a disgrace to numismatics, though, that they are still around. We could double prices on our coins based on the CPG and we still wouldn't be charging as much as Littleton.

9. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I once did order stuff from the mint. Not for a long time now. When a regular collector tries to order from the mints. You cannot get on their sight to order. I quit buying from the mints. If I want such, I go to the local shows later and buy at a discount. I also go to my/our local coin club meetings and get what I need. Some, of our members are dealers and sell to members.

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I am sure there are collectors that buy from the Mint. I have only been collecting for about 20 years and my brother and I inherited my father's collection. Although his collection wasn't the best, nor did he protect his coins, my brother and I are thrilled that he collected his coins. It was a pain to go through them because I was a novice as was my brother at the time. My first set was a collection of Morgan Silver Dollars in a set of three coins.1882CC, 1883CC, & 1884CC, all graded by NGC MS65. I paid $1,500 for them. I bought them from "Mike" in a midnight coin show. Although they were a little high, I really like them. I am more selective now about my purchases. Most of my high-ticket items have been graded by NGC. I have a few PCGS and others. I have a friend that is a dealer, and he lets me leave them with him so he can let me know if I got a problem coin.
    I am working on a collection of American Silver Eagles, the single ones and the sets.
    Every silver or gold coin that I collect, I get up with my bother to see what he thinks of the coin. He's smarter than I am, but more patient with him. I don't see him much, as he lives in Southern California, and I live on the East Coast of North Carolina. He is 75 and I am 79, so we don't take too many trips anymore.

11. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

I don't really understand what your price then slash mark means? I'll just say I've seen their grades on coins in their holders and they are junk "3rd party grading opinions" as they put their own grades on their own coins, or used to. I've never bought anything from them, but I've seen their wares online.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
  12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Why'd ya answer the phone?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I think he called them, he wanted to sell some stuff.

14. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

I continue to purchase from the United States and Canada Mints. I have not had a problem with either in a long time. The only challenging time was during the overblown pandemic. Before and since, nary an issue in ordering and receiving.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. Barney McRae

16. Barney McRae

Are you saying they offered you 40 bucks for a 1881 S PL MS 63 Morgan? What would I say to them? :p

ead.jpg

Cheech9712 and rte like this.
  17. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

So the bottom line here is that you realized that Littleton is a scam. They've been at this for at least 50 years. When I was a kid, it was coins and stamps "on approval", where once a month they mailed you something for a monthly fee and then you decided if you wanted it or not. One "grab bag" of worthless foreign coins was enough for most people to it figure out.

18. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't know what 80% PL is. The 1881-S in 63 is a $70 coin.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

"Devine Revelations".... is the only answer why a poster of < 3 months tries to enlightens those whom have collectors for decades!
    Simply amazing....
    That such an expert has never heard of " free enterprise "
    Defined : an economy where the market determines prices, products, and services rather than the "Government " ...... Business 101 yeah...
    Nor have they researched any information.... on the subject matter....yet they insist that shoe leather is taster than a steak....it must be....
    As they daily pratice their affliction of foot in mouth syndrome.
    Posting senseless dribble ....then tries to spin that dribble into senseless facts.
    You make a great politician in either party !
    Perhasp politics rather than Numistics would be a better path?

Best Answer....you betcha!

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    imrich, 132andBush, charley and 3 others like this.
  20. rte

rte Well-Known Member

According to coinbook.
    $140 is pretty close as retail.
    Screenshot_20240517-032833.png

Cheech9712 likes this.
  21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

You forgot cold caller for the pharmacist pushing the shingles vaccine :p I'd sooner buy a coin in older Littleton packaging.

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted