Copper 1948 UK half crown

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Lee Gilmore, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Lee Gilmore

Lee Gilmore Active Member

Hello friends.
    I found this coin in a bag of old pennies. It dates from 1948 and looks like a George VI half crown but struck in copper?
    The weight is 13.83 grams compared to the official weight of 14.14gm and I have analyzed the metal content as best I can with a spectrometer and it comes up at 87% copper 13 % nickel. It should be 75-25.
    Has anyone got any views on this because I cannot see the point of a counterfeit 1948 as it's not silver and has little value.
    Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Maybe a pattern?
    Edit- I really know nothing about foreign coins.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

As far as I am aware, the last issue in silver (type 1) was 1946. The coinage act changed the composition to copper-nickel, although maintaining the same weight, and type 2 was minted for two years only. 1947-1948, with type 3 from 1949-1952.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  5. Lee Gilmore

Lee Gilmore Active Member

Thanks yes that's what I think copper nickel type 2 so this one in copper not copper nickel is something unusual

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

I have a 1947 half crown, its weight is 13.91grams, within weight tolerance specification. Copper and nickel are next to each other on the periodic table with nickel being heavier than copper. So, a mix that has slightly less nickel will result in a lighter coin.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  7. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Kinda looks like it spent some time in the ground. One of the resident metal detectorists has several pictures of coins he's dug up that look very similar to this one.

derkerlegand and Lee Gilmore like this.
  8. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Adding to my earlier post.... I think its @paddyman98 who has the pictures. If I'm right maybe he can post them here too....

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  9. norantyki

norantyki CoinMuncher

Either acid or ground, either way, it is a damaged coin, and is not an error.

Lee Gilmore and 7Jags like this.
  10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

The coin should be a KM# 866. It looks like it has been in a fire or buried underground for a long time.

Lee Gilmore likes this.
  11. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a corroded coin almost assuredly. I have an halfcrown of 1963 struck in copper and will picture it shortly....LOL.....BTW, the NGC label is in error as it is struck on a full penny flans.

tempImage0MOMM4.png tempImagegMqmbA.png

alurid likes this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yup, likely a ground recovery

Lee Gilmore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted