2004-S Kennedy Half Dollar ddo?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by amnight, Apr 17, 2024.

1. amnight

amnight Active Member

Hello! I am wanting some information on whether this coin is a ddo? Thank you, and here are pictures. IMG_0070.jpeg IMG_0071.jpeg IMG_0072.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

This is a proof, so there is a chance of DDO but unlikely. It honestly looks like machine/mechanical doubling. The QC on proofs is much higher for proof strikes, so I doubt it is die deterioration…imo…Spark

Kevin Mader and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Oh grasshopper! There is none that exist, therefore Machine doubling.
    " Do not follow the vind for the vind has no direction".
    DDO Listings (varietyvista.com)

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like it’s a proof and it appears to be MD.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I vote "Creative Lighting" error.

Z

7. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I vote "Creative Lighting" error.

Z

8. amnight

amnight Active Member

I see splits.

Attached Files:

9. SensibleSal66

No. All I see is "reflective lighting". No doubling. Use your loupe and have a look please.

10. amnight

amnight Active Member

Used my loupe and see the same splits.

11. SensibleSal66

Okay then. Show me one that exists. Try Varietyvista.com? None there. violin.gif

12. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I kinda disagree with @SensibleSal66 …. I see the potential for doubling. Two things have me leaning towards mechanical doubling though. The sheer number of places the doubling appears kinda moves me towards MD. Also, and probably more importantly the devices aren’t thicker. MD will give you devices that are either the same thickness as normal or they will be thinner. If there are no matches at VV that’s also a red flag.

Spark1951 likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Notice that the doubling doesn't follow a pattern, It is also flat and shelf like.
    Pretty details and photos @amnight

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Not a true doubled die strike as they are not the same height of flatness like the one below. Notice where they cross, they appear as one (same height). I would not go along with several of the varieties sites as they were trying to out do the other sites
    in the late 1900s. They have removed some earlier mistakes as they became more aware of mechanical doubling through overuse, die damage, etc. ETSY,Ebay, and others consider them as true Doubled Die coin for the higher value. Be cautious IMO.

55dd0date-1-1.JPG

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Waiting for the big boys to chime in.
    I think it is die deterioration. True doubling always adds to the devices. This one is surely taking away.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  16. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

What we are see is movement. Not doubling.

If we trace the periphery of a device the device is uniform. The ‘splits’ you see in the uniform device are evidence of movement.

That said, proof dies are coined multiple times, so we could be seeing some evidence of that as well.

My vote is MD though.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024 at 7:23 AM
  17. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

18. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It looks like MD to me, but there are others similar. Here is an excellent reference to "worthless doublings" that everyone should keep at hand, by Wexler, who is the variety/error/double die guru. There are links at the bottom of the article for the different types of worthless doublings and, in the left column, a myriad of links/references to anything else that may be a coin anomoly.
    Everyone should have Wexler handy:
    https://doubleddie.com/144801.html

Draft saved Draft deleted