1974S Penny with beautiful color

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kay67, May 16, 2024.

1. Kay67

Kay67 Member

This penny is so very colorful and bright. I did a search on PCGS and it "looks" similar to the MS66RB, but I also have doubt, it may have just oxidized over time, if that's what happens, I don't know.

It's so dang pretty though. The full shot photos of the coin don't do it justice. you have to open up the "corner" pics fully to appreciate the color, which is on both sides of the coin.

Tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

What you have is actually a proof. It looks roughly PR66-67 BN, and the toning is part of the underlying luster, which, on brown coins, adds significantly to the coin's grade. It is one of the prettiest brown proof pennies I've seen, and it's definitely a great find on your part. ;)

I do wonder something, though: did you find this in circulation? If so, that is even cooler.

4. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

What makes you thinks that’s a proof? The rims don’t look right. It’s also pretty circulated, somewhere around ef40 to au50 is closer.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

It's mainly the surfaces of the coin. It is indeed circulated, and would grade likely PR45 to PR50, but I can tell it's a proof because all of the XF-AU '74-S regular strike Lincolns I've seen don't have the surfaces like this one.

6. cwart

With the toning on the coin I can’t say much about the surfaces. It’s well struck no doubt but the rounded rims are enough for me to doubt that it’s a proof. Not to mention that it’s much more likely to find a business strike 74 S in circulation than it is a proof 74S.

7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

+1 for business strike.

9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Not a proof…no squared edges, no reflective surfaces, not a hint of cameo anywhere. Even a found in circulation degraded proof would still exhibit these basic hallmarks but they just plain simply aren’t there.

The OP coin has evidence of circulation on both sides, would pull AU53-55 because of the mottled surfaces. Eye appeal is not great from those photos shown.

Maybe some better pictures would tell a better story on the toning and color but don’t anyone have pretensions it has proof elements…imo…Spark

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like it has been ever so slightly circulated. I do not see squares rims so it’s a business strike.

11. Kay67

Kay67 Member

It may have been circulated, I don't know for sure. It did, however, sit untouched in a jar for over 30 years.

The smaller photos show the true color of the coin, but when I take a photo with my phone, it doesn't show all the rainbow colors, it just comes out looking like spotty brown and red. But the rainbow colors are there, both my daughters were ooohing and awing over the beauty of it. :) As for a cameo, you are correct, it doesn't reflect any cameo I've seen on a proof.

Thanks everyone for your input, I truly appreciate it. It's a georgous coin indeed.

12. cwart

Lighting and angles make all the difference with pictures like these. Keep practicing, you’ll get better with every new set you take.

the fun part of collecting is that you get to decide what goes in your collection. The issue here was that the first response to you was wrong on basically every count. Look at all the responses and learn why we all felt it wasn’t a proof. Ask questions if you have them, you have access to an amazing amount of knowledge here at Coin Talk. Make use of it….:D

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That means it was circulated o_O

It is a business strike minted at the San Franscico Mint. If you like it keep it. You can keep whatever coin you want!

But put it away somewhere safe. Because if you don't then one day you might look for it and will not find it. I know because it has happened to me many times. :hilarious:

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

No. It's not a proof.

15. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

paddyman98 and RonSanderson like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted