What I got at the Central States show

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, May 3, 2024.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Today I went to the Central States show, which conveniently is located practically in my backyard. Like most shows, it leans heavily toward U.S. coins but there were a few dealers who specialize in foreign and a few other U.S. dealers who had some foreign on display. Most of the tables I didn't more than glance at because it was just slabbed high end coins and that's not the section of the pool that I swim in. I ended up buying from five or six dealers. I was on a half day from work so I had to get going or I'm sure I would have bought more, especially since I was about halfway through a well-stocked 25 cent foreign bin when I decided I really needed to call it quits.

Every year I debate whether I should go to this show because I know it's mostly U.S. and I'm afraid it will be a waste of time, but whenever I go I always find something.

Most of what I got wouldn't wow you because it's fairly normal stuff, but it's coins that I can flip for a profit on eBay. Here are a few more interesting ones that I'm keeping for myself.

The first is an Irish halfpenny from between 1685 and 1688.

1685 ireland half penny.jpg

This was the most expensive coin I bought. It might not look like much but it's a 1767 Danish West Indies 12 skilling. I didn't even know the Danish West Indies made any coins this old and this sort of thing is my happy place.
    1767 danish west indies 12 skillings.jpg
    1777 Milan half soldo. I don't know if it's particularly valuable but I don't have one.
    1777 milan half soldo.jpg
    1816 Papal States Quattrino. Another one I didn't have, and it was pretty cheap.
    1816 vatican quattrino.jpg
    1921 Eisenach Germany 1 mark porcelain notgeld with Martin Luther.
    1921 eisenach 1 mark.jpg

There was one table with a lot of Cuban stuff (I think they were from Miami). I bought two Cuban pesos (I later realized I already have the 1953) and also four paper bills from Cuba. Since you can't buy Cuban stuff on eBay these are things I never see for sale.
    1934 cuba 1 peso.jpg 1953 cuba peso.jpg

Finally there's a Nevada centennial medal. No big deal but I just liked how it looked at I think it was $3 so why not?
    nevada centennial.jpg

The Eidolon, Chris B, ddddd and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

That’s a great selection. I forgot about this show and will need to decide if I want to attend today. Also conveniently on my ‘backyard’ too.

4. Hiddendragon

The problem on the last day is half the dealers don't show up and the other half are packing up. Still I think admission is free the final day.

5. Mr. Flute

I’m going to see what I can find.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  6. Mr. Flute

1879 GB 1/2 crown

IMG_0947.jpeg
    IMG_0948.jpeg

1795 Netherlands Gulden and 1696 England Crown
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0946.jpeg

Last edited: May 4, 2024
  7. Mr. Flute

There was a nice 1812 Bank of England 3 shillings I wanted but the dealer was MIA for like an hour and I had to leave.

oh well.

I sold a bunch of common modern comm silver dollars and 5 one ounce silver bullion coins and because this one dealer was missing I left with some extra cash to spend later at one of my LCSs.

Some dealers can be odd.

Hiddendragon likes this.
  8. Hiddendragon

I like your pickups. Too bad the dealer wasn't there. I don't know why so many of them blow off the last day. It's the only time a lot of people can come.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  9. Mr. Flute

He was apparently at the show as his table mate told him there was a customer waiting.

whatever. His loss.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Nice report! Congrats on some cool finds!

Hiddendragon likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

That has happened to me as well; sometimes the tablemate will say to come back, I do, and the dealer is still not there. Fortunately there are other options to spend money on.

Mr. Flute likes this.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Wish I had know you were there. We probably crossed paths at some point.

Here are a couple things I picked up.

RusMol177203.jpg
    SpaNet168303.jpg
    Gordian III 03.jpg
    Gre40003.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted