Two RB Coppers from my Latest PCGS Sub: MS 62 RB (Kwangtung) MS 63 RB (Korea)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Anthony H, May 14, 2024.

1. Anthony H

Anthony H Visit my "Coin-stagram:" @anthonythecoinman

Hello! I wanted to share these two recent coins that came from my latest PCGS Submission--a World Regular submission. I was quite impressed with these and was elated to handle these pieces raw. Quite elusive to get the RB designation, as many come in BN. Of course, the RD designation is even more rare!

Here are the basic run-throughs:
    • 1909 (己酉年) Kwangtung 10 Cash - Hsuan Tung and Tai Ching Ti Kuo Copper Coin Format - MS 62 RB
    • 1905 (Kwangmu 9th Year = 光武九年) - 1 Chon (Large Planchet) and struck at the Osaka Mint - MS 63 RB
    IMG_8886.JPG IMG_8885.jpg IMG_8882.JPG IMG_8881.jpg

Seattlite86, Chris B and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Anthony H

CHINA (Qing) | KWANGTUNG Province 1909 (CD 己酉 = 1909) | 10 Cash and TCTK Dragon (Unified Design) | Sharp Strike! Full Scales in Lustrous UNC, With Coppery RED and Cartwheel Luster | PCGS MS 62 RB

Hello everyone! Sorry for having a slower flow of posts! Nevertheless, college has been wrapped up and I wanted to share my recent PCGS Economy submission. I was able to get this piece raw from a dealer and that I was really happy with the wholesome condition of this 10 Cash piece from the FINAL YEAR (1909 or “Ji You” or 己酉 on the Cyclical/Sexagenary Cycle) of the prolific and advanced Kwangtung Mint. This piece was obviously struck at the mint in Canton, which started general issue pieces in 1889.

This piece has been graded MS 62 RB (Red Brown) by PCGS and hence, an exciting grade that impressed me! This sharply struck and high graded Chinese 10 cash was minted in 1909, which converts to the First Year of Hsuan Tung (1909-11), where we can see it on reverse (dragon side) with its legend: 宣統年造. We do note that the RB designation for coppers, including milled Chinese coppers, are elusive, as most are in the BN (Brown) category. We also see that RD is even scarcer, as that is the original RED color of copper. Nevertheless, the piece has a good strike as well, evident with the dragon’s scales and the FULL HEAD of the dragon, where we see the dotted pupils of this unified “TCTK” dragon which started in 1905. The sharp details on the dragon’s scales and minimal abrasions on the fields of the obverse and reverse is also complemented with a nice planchet and a sharp and unworn denticles that highlight the nice minting equipment of Imperial China’s first modern mint. Hence, it is a piece with nice eye appeal given how there are not any weak strikes, especially on the obverse Chinese characters.

Comparing to my MS 63 BN, this piece has more CARTWHEEL luster (check the videos) and bright mint red in most of the protected areas, especially on the dragon side and near the peripheries of the strokes of the central four obverse characters, 大清銅幣
    PCGS population census: BN = 91, RB = 25!, RD = 1

PCGS Number: 150163
    References: CL-KT.18, Y-20

ex. American Dealer’s Inventory

KOREA (Protectorate) | 1 Chon - Kwangmu (光武) Year 9 (九年) = 1905 | Large Planchet Type (Copper) @ Osaka Mint | Kojong (as Emperor) - PCGS MS 63 RB! ~75% Luster!

Hi everyone! I would also like to share a Korean coin as I am part Korean! And this is a FRESHLY GRADED coin! It is a beautiful and lustrous 1 Chon from featuring the Imperial eagle facing left within a beaded circle on the obverse and a reverse featuring the value of 1 CHON in the center. This piece is also the large planchet type which was also shared by the 1906 issue from the 6th Year of Kwangmu (King Gojong), before transitioning into a smaller flan, which were struck from Kwangmu 11th Year to the Yunghui series.

This piece is beautifully graded and as I have expected, quite excitedly, a score of a 63 RB. Of course, this RB or Red Brown designation is ELUSIVE as we see a good amount of coppery RED, and as usual for these MS pieces. Overall, we see some considerable and strong hints of original luster on both sides, especially on the character details on both sides. We also do not see any pitting or scratches of big nature, and we do notice a die break or so on the reverse.

Overall, this sharp and nicely struck piece has strong details, particularly on the central design motifs and has limited signs of handling or markings seen on the surfaces, leaving this piece as a wonderful representative of the type and a nice addition to my Korean collection!

This piece was struck at the Osaka Mint in Japan. Korea would be colonized years later, in 1910, by Japan.

Total Mintage of 11,800,000, though I feel that the original 1905 issue, like this coin, should have fewer striking than the 1906 later issue. More research to come!

Acquired Late January 2024.
    References: Krause KM 1125; K&C-39.1.

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thanks for sharing the beautiful coins and congrats on the grades received! Is this an area you specialize in?

Also, college wrapped up… are you graduated, or just for this year? What’s next?

Anthony H likes this.
  5. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member

I really love that Korean example!

Anthony H likes this.
  6. Anthony H

Hello! Thank you for your kind words. I specialize in struck or milled East Asian coins as well as Annamnese coins. I also specialize in sycee as well.

I graduated four days ago and I am a Tar Heel from UNC Chapel Hill!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Anthony H

Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted