This 1838 $5 gold received a CAC sticker. Would anyone like to explain why?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Apr 28, 2024.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

1838 Half Eagle B All.jpg

I was looking over my set of Classic Head $5 gold coins the other day, and happened upon this piece I bought in frustration at a really disappointing major coin show. It was the mid winter ANA show which was held in Orlando, Florida. I came with my usual want list, and spent the whole show coming up empty.0

Finally I found this 1838 $5 gold that was graded NGC AU-58, CAC. One of my dealer friends told me I goofed up when I bought it, and now I agree. It's really an AU-55.

So, do you think I'm being too harsh on this piece?

calcol and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

From 58 to 55 and it originally CAC'd ???

Wow, JA is usually very tough on gold coins.

Player11 likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Based on the pic I'm looking at, I'm not as surprised at the 58 as I am the CAC...amazing! To me, it actually looks like it could have spent time as a pocket piece, gently fondled.

I would be tempted to peel off the CAC & let it ride!...:D:p:joyful::joyful::joyful:

Cheech9712 likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

CAC and this coin need to stay together. We are constantly told that CAC is infallible and this piece disproves that. It’s second example I have in my collection. The other one has a gold CAC sticker.

6. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Is a gold sticker a *

7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I was saying that as a joke, but yeah, I get it...after all, the assessment is done by a "human being", so...

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

JA had salami for lunch that day?

9. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

You checked the CAC certification, right ?

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I have never gotten into the "sticker" game, so I really can't comment, but what if you wrote a letter to the head person at CAC with your concerns and see what they suggest. Even if you wanted to keep it as an example of CAC fallacies, you would have a letter from CAC explaining their reasoning. Just a thought.

David Betts likes this.
  11. ddddd

ddddd Member

CAC will take another look if sent in for reconsideration. If they think it really should not have stickered, oftentimes they will offer to buy it back or compensate the difference between a CAC and non-CAC example. I have heard a few people who were satisfied with the process when something like this happened.

Dima and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

It's a nice coin, I like it.

13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't think this coin would CAC today.

ldhair likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted