Roman Provincial Coinage Denominations

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by -monolith-, Apr 28, 2024.

1. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Are there any good references that clearly define Roman Provincial Coinage Denominations; or are they simply stated as AE 17 for a bronze 17 mm coin?

lot 434.jpg
    Example: Pamphylia, Magydus - Gallienus : 29 mm, so would this denomination simply be classified as AE 29.

lot 260.jpg

Example: Pontos, Amisos (Time of Aemilian) : 22 mm, so would this denomination simply be classified as AE 22.

sand and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Egyptian coins are referred to by denominations (drachm, obol, chalkous, etc.) But I haven't seen specific denominations named for any other provincial coinage.

sand likes this.
  4. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

Various Balkan and Anatolian issues have 4, 5, 8, etc.

5. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

I couldn't find any references either. I even checked museum web sites and publishers of ancient coin books. It seems that they simply list it by metal and size with a few exceptions.

6. GinoLR

GinoLR Well-Known Member

In Orient the aurei were called in Greek "denarioi", the silver denarii were called "drachms". This why even today in Arabic a gold coin is a "dinar" and a silver coin is a "dirham".
    For bronze coins, the New Testament tells us the names.
    There is the κοδράντης (kodrantes), the smallest coin. This name comes from the Latin quadrans, 0.25 as. Matthew 5:26; Mark 12:42
    There is the ἀσσάριον (assarion), a name from the Latin as. Matthew 10:29; Luke 12:6.
    The was also the half-quadrans, a denomination that did not exist in Rome but existed in Orient.

In Antioch the smallest denomination was called "chalkous". But there was always a link between western and eastern denominations, for western coins (sestertius, as, dupondius, quadrans) circulated in Orient along local coins.

The Meat man and sand like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted