Reporting on my ICG Submission

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, May 14, 2024.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I thought some folks might enjoy following my first experience submitting to ICG. I’ve got 25 coins in the mail right now headed their way. I’ll document the process and share the results. Previously, I have only submitted two coins to NGC.

So, why ICG? The coins I’m submitting were found coin roll hunting, meaning they’ve cost me face value. These are coins I plan to keep, and perhaps eventually sell. I thought they deserved their own case, and something better than a 2x2, where I don’t have to worry about dropping them. Since I paid face value, I don’t mind spending a little to encase them.
    IMG_9749.jpeg

A number of them have a bit of gunk on them that require a bit of conservation, and I do not feel comfortable trying to conserve them myself. I decided sending them to ICG can get my coins gunk free and encased for a reasonable price. We have seen the work of @Insider and I know they’ll come back better than when I submitted them.

I know that ICG doesn’t have the same retail values of other TPGs, but I’m a firm believer in “buy the coin, not the slab.” I’m more concerned about the coins being properly conserved and protected. ICG will do a great job of both of those, cheaper than the other TPGs.

The submission process seemed relatively straightforward. The form can be found here: https://www.icgcoin.com/submission-form/. I was surprised to see some typos in the document, and assume something was lost in the transfer from draft to PDF. The biggest thing that wasn’t super clear to me was the part where it says “May Conserve” on the list. I wasn’t sure if this was saying that I’m paying to have them conserve it, or letting them decide if it needs to be conserved. And if they’re deciding, it’s unclear if I’m paying for them to decide. So, to be on the safe side, I checked all but the coins that did not need any conservation (21 total) and will see what happens. I asked for 6 coins to be attributed, and 5 to be photographed. Those requests are shown below in the list.

I did not pay close enough attention to each coin and what grade I hope to get per coin, so I guessed, based on the value I listed the coin at in the submission. If nothing is listed for grade, I assume it is XF or better. Here’s the list:

5c 1913-P T2 x2 VF/XF

5c 1915-S AU (photograph)

5c 1918-S AU (photograph)

5c 1915-D VF

5c 1937-P MS

5c 1923-P AU

5c 1914-P x3 (one is clashed, and I asked for that one to be checked for 1914/3 to be sure; I do not think it is, but I was having trouble discerning from varietyvista)

5c 1917-P x2

5c 1916-P x3

5c 1996-P rev struck thru

5c 1913-D T2

25c 1989-P AUdets, struck on dime stock details (photograph)

25c 1999-P MS struck out of collar

10c 1980-D MS missing clad before strike (photograph)

5c 1989-P capped die, partial collar

5c 1913-P T1

5c 1918-P AU/MS (photograph)

I’ll update the group when the coins arrive, what communication I receive, when I receive updates and photos, and I’ll provide photos of every coin after they return. Here are some images I’ve taken. IMG_9802.jpeg IMG_9801.jpeg IMG_9791.jpeg IMG_9792.jpeg IMG_9741.jpeg IMG_9743.jpeg IMG_9734.jpeg IMG_9732.jpeg
    IMG_8708.jpeg

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You will be pleased. I did my first submission with them a few weeks back and I too was a bit surprised at how easy it was. I just mailed my second submission to them yesterday.

lordmarcovan, Player11, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

I have also come to determine that the ICG slab shows more of the coin. There are no holding tabs that conceal part of the rims.

5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the results.

6. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

Good luck with your coins! I think the 1915s buffalo will do very well. Id like to do what you’re doing as well. If I may ask, what does it average out too for each coin? Tks

7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 and -jeffB like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Keep us apprised...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Seattlite86

Thank you! I have not been billed yet, but at the moment, it should be under $20/coin.

ZoidMeister, Player11 and Dan Galbato like this.
  10. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I don't understand all the hype around the two top grading companies. I've gotten great deals on icg graded coins. I really consider them all to be basically the same.

Player11, MIGuy, Dynoking and 5 others like this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

I had two on my first submission. One I knew would benefit from conservation. The other was anybodys guess. So I added the ten bucks for both of them and put a note to keep it as a tip if the coins wouldn’t benefit from it. My last submission was as eight coins and I think I requested conservation for three of them……

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

THIS IS AN EXAMPLE OF COLLECTING...for the simple joy and interest and not investment investment investment how much wampum can I get for stuff Posts.

Thank you.

Amen

13. green18

And I think Charley said this.....

14. green18

Oh.... the Amen is me. :)

charley, dwhiz, ddddd and 1 other person like this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

Best of luck; we look forward to the results!

By the way, this makes me want to do an ICG sub as well (one day I will find some raw coins worth sending in).

16. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I hope you took advantage of the CoinTalk special! While it doesn't cover Conservation / Imaging / Extras, it is $10 for domestic coins and $12 for world coins / tokens. You just need to write "CoinTalk Special" and your user name on the form when you submit. If you forgot I'll bet you can call them and get them to honor it before they process your payment. Good luck, I've had great luck with ICG - they were the first TPG I ever submitted to and I submit to them more than anyone else (I also submit to ANACS and NGC - maybe PCGS someday if I have a reason to). Like you (and most of us I think) I also try to buy the coin and not the slab, but I do value authentication and conservation (and the professional grade is nice too, lol).

17. Seattlite86

It’s all about the coin in the slab. I’ve seen some wildly overgraded coins in PCGS and sadly more so in NGC.
    Yes, I did write it in, thank you :) I wanted to wait to get charged before discussing the discount to be sure I gave the right info. I will elaborate on my costs once I get the bill.

charley, MIGuy, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  18. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Imagine. Charley speechless... Not!

19. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

You have patience and a good eye. I would have flipped right past these in my quest for silver.

20. Seattlite86

Who knows how many coins I’ve passed up and not noticed. If only I truly had the time to search dimes for more than silver. No doubt I’ve missed a no P or two. Some years ago, I tossed back a Henning Nickel, because I didn’t know he made them outside of the war nickel years. :eggface: Live and learn. As far as patience, I think my wife takes the cake for the patience she shows in all of this.

21. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks like I have some extra work to do. I don't leave the office until 9 PM (not complaining) in order to keep our fastest-in-the-business turn around time. I'm glad we don't get several thousand coins a week too.

Draft saved Draft deleted