Probably the 3 nicest steel cents I have ever come across

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by riff, Jan 2, 2020.

1. riff

riff I ain't got time to bleed

20200102_185941.jpg 20200102_190029.jpg 20200102_190117.jpg 20200102_190344.jpg 20200102_190150.jpg 20200102_190431.jpg 20200102_190232.jpg 20200102_190514.jpg Anyone recognize the flip they are in? I got 2 of them today. They toned, which I haven't seen steel cents do.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

I think they might have been reprocessed... They look a bit shiny, and the details look kinda filled in. Nice looking coins no doubt, I'm just worried they're not as originally minted.

4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I agree. They look like reprocessed cents.

spirityoda likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Toning is uncommon on steel cents, but is possible.

I agree with @cwart , however, they look like they have been treated. There is flattening on the cheekbone and on the wheat stalks. These have circulated - and I've never seen original AU steel cents with that shiny, clean appearance.

For an example of a completely original, toned Steel Cent, check out my MS-66 PL example:

JPA1074 obverse.JPG JPA1074 reverse.JPG

6. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I notice that my LCS takes possession of batches of steelies from time-to-time and they sort out the original cents from the reprocessed cents. The buyer pays higher for the original cents. It's typically a quick sort activity; the reprocessed cents are shiny and the details washed out.

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If they are reprocessed they are junk.
    I was tricked the same way but I only bought the D and S.

8. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Reprocessed, looks like my stapelling!! :happy:

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I suspect reprocessed also, but it is easy to tell. The sheets of steel used for the coins were plated on the surface and when planchet material was punched out and entered into the coining process , the flat sides showed the reflective zinc coat and the edge was duller appearing steel a very short distance from the angle of the edge and faces.

However when reprocessed in a solution , the whole coin including the edge was plated. So if the edge is dull greyish color, it is steel and original. If it shines and reflective and has imperfections and possible small bumps or doubling appearances everywhere, it is reprocessed. IMO, Jim

RonSanderson and Kevin Mader like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A LCS about an hour away sells steel Cents for 6 for $1.00. That's $.17 each. Yours have been replated. The correct term is reprocessed. I have seen flips like this before.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. riff

20200102_204146.jpg 20200102_203838.jpg 20200102_203855.jpg Weight is dead on for unaltered unc.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's normal

Inspector43 likes this.
  13. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I agree. Nice cents though. I was born in 1943 and, naturally, have looked at a bunch of them. But. I like all of them.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The "processing doesn't add enough weight to be be noticeable. Here is an AU with some nice toning...

[​IMG]

LA_Geezer and Kevin Mader like this.
  15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

If the edge is the same color as the obverse and reverse it is reprocessed, if not, it is original.

16. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

I think reprocessed (replated) also, watch those staples they can do a lot of damage.

I caught a (CoinHELPu) on YouTube, Daniel covered the process pretty well with examples, check it out if you have the time, most of his videos are short and to the point.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  17. JCKTJK

JCKTJK Well-Known Member

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have seen a few like yours over the decades. It's a novelty item 2x2 holder.

Hookman likes this.
  19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I agree. Looks reprocessed to me as well. Look at some original slabbed examples in the Heritage archives and you'll see what to look for.

20. riff

I gonna give them to my son to give out to his friends at school.

Mkm5, Copper lover and Kevin Mader like this.
  21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

His 3 best and trustworthy friends that won't spend them?
    I wouldn't do that. But that's just me :rolleyes:

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted