Never suggested.?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, May 15, 2024.

1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I probably shouldn't say "never" because this is something that I would have likely dismissed as an option because of it's simplicity and counter intuitionism.

After all the posts I've made about coin storage, picking the through wits and deciphering the opinions of suggested coin storage and preservation options, burning coin flips and removing VOC deposits with harsh chemicals to, watching a beautiful 120 year old MS VDC turn into a toner in months due to cellulose contamination, not one person (maybe one) has ever suggested what I have recently found to be maybe the most ridiculously effective and inexpensive coin storage method, hands down.

60 years is enough time, I would say, to determine if something is successfully being preserved.

Let's take for example silver. Easily oxidized and tarnished, silver may be the most difficult to preserve. Simply handling silver by even the reeds can deposit oils and acids that will ingress from the area deep into the fields of our precious.

What, you say, is this magic method of preservation we all desire, which can be done for mere tenths of cents per lb. of booty?

I warn you first before considering this layman's method of storing your triple squished mirror finish medallions... take a photo because you may never see them again.
    No no, were not putting them in the freezer behind the cauliflower. We are wrapping them in...

IMG_20240515_075746.jpg

Aluminum foil.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I haven't ever tried aluminum foil Joe. Is the aluminum foil tarnished on the outside of the roll?

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I will say this..... In 1964 my grandmother went to the bank and picked up two of the newly minted JFK halves. She lovingly wrapped them in wax paper and put them in a leather purse that stayed in her dresser. When she passed, I inherited that little purse and to this day those two pristine JFK halves are still wrapped in the wax paper. Nary a speck of tarnish on either one.

masterswimmer, bruthajoe and charley like this.
  5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Drats! Foiled again!

MIGuy, Tall Paul, Cheech9712 and 4 others like this.
  6. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I, too, individually wrapped some uncirculated coins in aluminum foil when I was in my teens 60 years ago, and the last time I unwrapped one it was just as I put it in. But the same can be said of some I put in 2x2s, which I can look at any time with a lot less bother. The aluminum foil needs to be replaced each time it is opened, and can scratch coins if handled carelessly. One advantage the aluminum foil may have is that it reacts with some chemicals and may thus prevent them from reaching your coins by chemically grabbing them first, but I'm not enough of a chemist to say for sure. As for rolls, I found the plastic roll holders worked well. I always taped the tops to seal them a bit better.

bruthajoe likes this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The reaction does as said. However, it is the outside environment controlling most of effect the over time. In a desert it is expected to be quite effective over time, but usually not long term in sea shore states. Several of us are chemists, so they may give an opinion also, But plastic coin containers are much better protection and reusable, and are some what cheap. IMO, Jim

wxcoin, Neal and bruthajoe like this.
  8. bruthajoe

Not at all.

9. bruthajoe

IMG_20240515_173136.jpg
    I agree. I do not know the climate these rolls endured. All I know is that they shipped from Ohio. I will not ever be shy to buy foiled coins though. Funny how Al and Fe create not so nice reaction. Another reason I feared Al.

10. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

All metals tone once the metal has been disturbed when struck. Your surroundings are the only thing that tone them further.

Tall Paul and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. bruthajoe

...and from the moment of conception we all get old?

Draft saved Draft deleted