Great Britain: 2020 gold 100-pounds, Mayflower 400th Anniversary commemorative, first day of issue

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, May 14, 2024.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I bought this recently to add to my bullion stack (though I did pay a bit above spot for it). I thought it was nice for a modern design. It’s also a standard Deep Cameo proof on one side, and a reverse proof on the other.

Also, I’m supposedly a descendant of William Bradford, the Pilgrim governor, so the theme is fun. My maternal grandmother was a member of the Mayflower Society.

Great Britain: 2020 gold 100-pounds, Mayflower 400th Anniversary commemorative, first day of issue

Numista-296804.

NGC PR69 UCAM, cert. #6039444-048.

.9999 fine gold, 1.0 Troy ounce. 500 minted.

Ex-Great Collections auction, item #1559868, 12 May 2024.

IMG_8365.jpeg IMG_8366.jpeg IMG_8367.jpeg IMG_8368.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin, thanks for sharing! My 11th great grandfather was on the Mayflower....

lordmarcovan likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

Family lore had it that my maternal grandmother owned a silver candlestick that had belonged to William Bradford. Given how well-to-do she was, and the quality of some of the other heirlooms, I reckon that’s semi-plausible, though I never saw the candlestick in question. So maybe it was real and maybe it was mythical.

While we’re at it, here’s another coin from my collection which depicts William Bradford and the Mayflower.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Croatian Coin Collector

Croatian Coin Collector Supporter! Supporter

The 1920 one is way nicer.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I liked the theme and design. So, bought the piedfort (double thickness) gilded silver version pictured below. Graded PR70DCAM by PCGS.

Cal
    two_pound_Great_Britain_2020_piedfort_proof_Mayflower_400th_anniversary_low_res_PCGS_pr70dc.jpg

Abramthegreat and lordmarcovan like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

I don’t disagree, from a design standpoint, but they’re from two entirely different eras, a century apart. And the older coin doesn’t contain an ounce of gold. ;)

Ooh, the bimetallic look is nice! I like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted