1883 v nick

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Willysilver, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Winner winner chicken dinner. hope everybody's having a great day. check this out a pattern 1883 V Maybe proof well struck nickel also the rim tentacle or whatever those things are called, are well separated also no c e n t s on reverse Let me know what you guys think? I think I'm rich. If worse comes to worse, it's got a re-punch date or actually it's a mpd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I think you have the common 1883 with a chip

-jeffB likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

In 1883 the mint brought out the "new" design for the nickel. First year they forgot to put "cents" on the reverse and the myth was born that people gold-plated them and passed them for the new $5 gold piece...probably either not true or rarely done. Later in the year, they re-designed them and put "Cents" on the reverse and made LOTS more. Kicker, the no-cents is worth less than the cents version because so many people saved the anomaly.

5. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Looking more at the circle on the V pmd .? circle which would be a prototype. prototype for the 84 and 85.with a hole

Kentucky likes this.
  6. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

you can see the damage on the obverse from the circle being punched into the reverse. Just a seriously damaged coin. It also has some kind of residue all over the obverse as an added bonus.

Did the fact that the reverse designs of the prototypes you posted look NOTHING like the reverse of the circulated, damaged coin you posted completely get by you?

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The gold plated was a young deaf and dumb man named Josh Tatum. He was caught but never served time. Since is he couldn’t hear or speak he made no claims about the value. The merchants took that as a $5.00 gold piece and gave him the change.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice except for the damage. That circle is a killer and it’s a circulation grade coin.

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

10. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

@Kevin Mader wow, I like that coin…. I mean really really really like that one!!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Me too, Willy. That’s the one that got away. I’m still shaking my head. A truly lovely coin!

12. Kentucky

PMD

13. Kentucky

https://coinweek.com/fact-or-myth-josh-tatum-and-racketeer-nickels/

Collecting Nut and Kevin Mader like this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Kevin Mader likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted