1883 CC Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Barney McRae, May 15, 2024.

1. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

Picked this one up today (midweek working hours sniper that I am)
    I'm kind of excited for it to come in. Photos aren't great but it has serious potential, from an estate sale collection, paid MS61 price. This kind of date, mint, and luster I'll take my chances.
    It will be sent off for grading. 1883 ccob.png 1883cc rev.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Wowza! That's a sweet looking buck!

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You did great! That’s a beautiful CC coin! Congratulations

Barney McRae and Inspector43 like this.
  5. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Dang, that's pretty.

Barney McRae likes this.
  6. charley

charley Well-Known Member

It is attractive, but something is not right with the piece. It may be the blurry photos, I don't know, but I did increase the size and still had a waita-minute feeling.

Jack Young wrote about this, I think.
    Maybe you can find it, I don't know.

I do know that the majority of these so-called Estate sales are seeded. There used to be brazillions of them in DC in any given week, and Estate myazz....

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Barney McRae

We'll see soon enough, Sunshine. :D

Seller has a couple of other items with the same potential up for auction. I'm watching. A couple of months ago a guy was liquidating his private collection. He had cracked them out, but had saved the slabs they came out of. They were spectacular but not a good value purchase because of solid documentation. You win some, you lose some.

eddiespin likes this.
  8. charley

charley Well-Known Member

What is with the "Sunshine", Fife?

9. Barney McRae

Just a beaming ray of sunshine erry day Otis. :D[​IMG]

eddiespin and longarm like this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Where is @Jack D. Young

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'd chance it. Good luck!

Barney McRae likes this.
  12. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

The images are terrible and the coin may be better in hand, but I always try to attribute a coin 1st when researching it.

Images of this one on the right to the known VAM reverses:

VAM reverses.jpg

The current CN pieces use a common CC reverse for every date; they are also casts and regularly do not fill out the "O" of "OF":

rev marks.jpg
    Good luck with this one Sunshine...

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    charley, Barney McRae, KBBPLL and 2 others like this.
  13. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I notice the complete lack of detail on the interior of the wings - totally bald. I also note the lack of denticles around OF. I shy away from anyone who touts "estate find" in their listing - literally everything is in someone's estate, so it's meaningless. I hope it works out for you but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy.

Jack D. Young and longshot like this.
  14. Barney McRae

I just watched one of your interview videos at a coin show with a coin dealer. Good stuff. Apparently some fakes are good enough to fool PCGS.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  15. Barney McRae

Wasn't exactly an estate find. Seller claims that they were his father's collection. He doesn't have very many coins out there for sale, but most of them are blazers.

16. Barney McRae

The photos are horrible. Here is another photo of the reverse. Jack pointed out the O in of was not filled in. It is. Also, the details of the wings appear in this photo. The denticles appear weak as discussed but they side view.png are there.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Bad pictures from guys who are "selling their grandpa's coins" is often a bad sign. I don't like the luster on that piece at all. It's between frosty, which is often seen seen on these coins and P-L which infrequently seen, and highly prized. This one is just shiny, and the shine does not look right.

18. Barney McRae

1880s obv.png 1880s rev.png 1880s grade.png
    What would you say about this coin? I'm not sure how this one didn't get a PL designation?

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You have to remember thet early S mint dies all had a pl look to them. They are graded with different standards then other date MM combos.

Barney McRae likes this.
  20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It probably does not have enough contrast between the devices and the fields.

I have very little with business strike PL coin. I have far more interest in Proof coins. There the "Cameo" description is very inconsistently applied in my opinion.

This Proof Morgan did not get a Cameo.

1883 Proof Mor All.jpg

This 1869 Proof Seated Dollar was given a Cameo.

1869 Dollar All.jpg

This 1862 Proof Seated Dollar did not get a Cameo.

1862 Dollar All.jpg

1862 Dollar Ang All.jpg

Barney McRae likes this.
  21. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

So you have gone from the 1883-CC to an 1880-S; did you take all the images? The NGC slabbed images are pretty good, the 2nd reverse shot of the CC is still too blurry to actually attribute...

charley likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted