1858 LS Half Dollar - Straight Grade or Details?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Publius2, Apr 24, 2024.

?

Straight Grade or Details

Poll closed Apr 26, 2024.
  1. Straight Grade

47.4%
  2. Details

31.6%
  3. On the Bubble

21.1%
  1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I am considering submitting this raw 1858 half to PCGS for grading. Do you think it would straight grade or get a details? Please vote in the poll. I've included a "on the bubble" vote for an even chance it could go either way.

If you would like to opine on the grade also, that would be very welcome also.

DSC_0406.jpg DSC_0407.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’m leaning straight grade

4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Great pictures

Dynoking likes this.
  5. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Close, but I'm voting details. Both wiped and small scratches combine to make it iffy.

Mr.Q, Anthony Mazza and Dynoking like this.
  6. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

Tough call. Will they bag it for the scratch next the freedom cap? Is it messed with above LF D? What are the dark lines behind the eagles head and extending from his neck? Is it re-toning from a prior cleaning?
    Is that a die clash between AL?
    Assuming the lines on Miss Liberty's arms are from circulation I would go AU58 or AU details, altered surface. Nice coin either way, good luck!
    I voted on the bubble.

dwhiz, charley and JoshuaP like this.
  7. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Love the early stage die break.

Dynoking likes this.
  8. Anthony Mazza

Anthony Mazza Well-Known Member

Next to the pileus, so I'm voting details. Very nice AU though.

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

AU Details. Nice coin.

10. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The small scratches are not the problem. It's the hairlines that are going in the wrong direction. It could grade, but my bet would be on "details." I've had less problems get flagged, especially in the body bag era when you got nothing for your money.

dwhiz, ldhair and ZoidMeister like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

It's a damn shame I tell ya, a damn shame . . . . . . .

Details . . . . . .

Z

Cheech9712, dwhiz and David Betts like this.
  12. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Agree with Z damn shame I would accept it as clean grade in my collection
    It is 166 years old wish I'd look that good!

13. Catbert

Catbert Evil Cat

I see it as AU details due to hairlines indicative of cleaning.

Cheech9712 and ZoidMeister like this.
  14. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Yeah, I would guess a details coin. Check out this submission and see if you can see why some got a genuine grade.
    Order Details (pcgs.com)

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think it makes it into a straight graded holder. There are hits and what appears like wear; the luster appears solid as well, so my guess is AU 55 (with an outside chance of 58).

Mainebill and charley like this.
  16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am in the Circ camp AU most likely 58'.
    I think that a 55 would be disappointing.
    I do see reasoning for a 55 but not in todays market. How is the luster? ND why aren't we talking about CACG. I give there grade a 53.

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm on the bubble. Could go either way. You've got those faint, wipey hairlines there, so there might have been an old cleaning. But it's not that egregious, and the coin displays some nice (if subtle) luster, so it could get a pass.

I'll be optimistic and guess it straight grades.

Now, I couldn't quite decide between AU58 and low MS.

I'm gonna go against the majority so far and go out on a limb (again, optimistically) and say MS61. Even 62 if you're lucky.

Nice coin, regardless. I look forward to seeing the eventual outcome, and hope my optimistic guesses pan out.

KSorbo, Dynoking and David Betts like this.
  18. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

Considering the number of coins I have seen lately that have obvious scratches from being dug up from the ground or have other significant scratches I would bet on a straight grade. James

19. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Based on those stated thoughts, shouldn't your vote be Straight Grade and not On The Bubble?

20. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I took this coin to my Local Coin Club meeting last night and showed it to some experienced collectors. They showed the same ambivalence that you (and I) have toward this coin, some thinking straight grade 55 and some thinking AU-Details. One wag even thought it might grade "AU-63".

One suggested sending to NGC instead of PCGS as he is of the opinion that PCGS is harsher than NGC. Don't know if that's true or not but I think I'm going NGC because I think I can get lower total costs of grading there.

I also had those guys look at four raw gold coins that I'm submitting. The general consensus was:

1925-D Quarter Eagle - AU-58
    1903 Half Eagle - AU-55 or maybe AU-Details Cleaned
    1881-S Eagle - AU-53 or 55
    1915 Eagle - AU-58 or maybe AU-Details Cleaned

Submitting these coins for grading is part of this year's efforts to "tidy" my collections by eliminating duplicates, selling off collections I'm no longer interested in, and eliminating higher-valued raw coins from the collections by selling or grading. This is partly motivated by wanting to make my collections easier for my heirs to dispose of. I'm 72 and in good health but you never know.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Very helpful.

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Maybe, yeah. I started out on the bubble but kinda firmed up. A little.

Guess you could say I’m still on the bubble (i.e., I acknowledge it could go either way), but I’m leaning optimistic for straight grade and MS.)

Randy Abercrombie and charley like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted