US 1941 Nickel

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SoCal Mama, May 2, 2024.

1. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

It’s me again,

Here is the oldest nickel I have.
    Worth saving or can I go buy a marble? Wait, I don’t think I can purchase a marble for 5. cents :smuggrin:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Because it is your oldest, you need to keep it.

5 years from now it may not be the oldest. You will ask yourself:
    “Why did I save this nickel?”
    …and the answer will be something like:
    “Because it was my oldest coin at the time”.

Coin collections metamorphose overtime as you acquire or gift them or buy or sell. They change as your interests change, too.

This one has travelled many miles over the last 83 years, but you may feel it was one coin that helped you start coin collecting as a hobby. It could have been in the possession of a sailor or soldier in Hawaii on December 7, 1941. Who knows?

It may not have much value, but it could stay in your collection for many reasons.
    …imo…Spark

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I absolutely love @Spark1951 comment. That is the perfect definition of getting upmost fulfillment out of a coin collection. An old coin is a book with a story to tell.

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Same. We collect what we like. No judgement.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Since it’s your oldest nickel and they don’t make them anymore you should keep it.

7. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

@Randy Abercrombie I was JUST gonna say the same thing! For a minute there, I felt like I was in a story!

Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

Thank you @Spark1951!! WOW! By the time I was reading "5 years from now" I was stuck on the message and by the time I hit the "This one has traveled many miles" I had complete goosebumps! You are absolutely right about this! Thank you for elaborating on why at this moment, I should keep this coin! :cat:

9. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

Yes! I think so too :) I think three votes so far to keep it is good enough for me to do so. :happy:

Collecting Nut likes this.
  10. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

You all are amazing and once again, I am glad I decided to join after years of contemplating how this could really help me... Well it has already in so many ways just in the past couple of days! Thank you

11. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Make it four votes to keep it…. Was it a find in spare change? It’s amazing what’s out there. Heck a few years ago I slipped a dateless buffalo nickel into the cash register at work. I love that someone got a big surprise finding that after paying their restitution…:)

SoCal Mama likes this.
  12. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

Wow LOL! Yes, so the story goes.. I accumulate so much change from paying for stuff and just toss it in my bag. My bag gets so heavy that I dumped out all of the change into a zip-lock bag.. A gallon size one. I have had up to 13 bucks in change at one time in there LOL! Well I kept doing this for maybe 6 months and finding change all over the house. I Finally went through it and separated all the coins .. and went through all the pennies, then nickels and so on.. Which is why I am today. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

13. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

One more thing... In the penny stack.. I found the full set of the bicentennial pennies the ones that were issued for I guess a year only from what I read and have a few nickel ones but have not fully gone through that batch yet. :rolleyes:

cwart likes this.
  14. cwart

For the nickels see if you can find a nice looking set of the 2004 & 2005 Westward Journey nickels in there.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...&u=&a=1939-2024&dg=&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=&d=

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/in...&u=&a=1939-2024&dg=&m=&f=&t=&w=&mt=&g=&se=&d=

SoCal Mama likes this.
  15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I had a ton of 1940 and 1941 nickels (circulated) and just spent them.
    If you have a 41 large S, if you have 40 or 41 that are in GREAT condition,
    then it's a keeper. I find with nickels, even if the book says it is worth 10 cents or w/e, no one is paying 10 cents for that coin and you might as well spend it. There is a 1940 nickel with the 1938 reverse which is a very good coin but they were mostly proofs. I went through a bunch of 1939 nickels and found one with a reverse of 1940. So that was pretty cool.

SoCal Mama and Spark1951 like this.
  16. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

17. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

See what you said in the last two sentences? Lol I wouldn’t know the difference if I had those coins. How do you know it’s a different reverse? So interesting I’m telling you! This coin thing is like a whole new world of information for me it’s great!

18. cwart

the best place to start learning is the red book, at least for American coins…. If you wanna try world or foreign there’s other good places to start.

I think someone above has already given you some info on the red book and where to find a cheaper one. It’s a great investment for learning the hobby.

SoCal Mama likes this.
  19. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I started a thread in the Coin Roll Hunting forum specifically for pocket change finds. Like you, I enjoy working the stores for change to feed the hobby. It’s fun to pull a collectible from your change.

SoCal Mama likes this.
  20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are markers to tell you if something is a different reverse year, etc. You can even find them here if you use the search box.
    There are photos, and threads and explanations for everything.
    If they aren't here, everything is on Google.

21. SoCal Mama

SoCal Mama Member

AWESOME!! Okay I’m going to post my nickels that @cwart asked me to look for because I found some that I put aside while going through my bags of change. Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted