Newbie looking for 1st coin error. Please help ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Yvon, May 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Yvon

Yvon New Member

I am a newbie to coin collecting and love the quarters in particular. I am looking to find my first Error Coin. I have a 1984 quarter which I believe is an error coin and not a damaged coin. It appears on the edge/rim of coin and extends into the word Trust on Obverse side. The mint mark also seems to be double struck.

If it is an error what do you think it is worth ? Would appreciate any comments.

IMG_4383[1222].jpg IMG_4383[1222].jpg IMG_4384[1223].jpg IMG_4384[1223].jpg

Neal likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

Welcome to the forums! :D

I'm sorry, but your quarter is sadly just damaged. :sorry:
    Finding a real error coin in circulation can be tough, and even then, most errors that can be found are very minor.

VistaCruiser69, Spark1951 and Neal like this.
  4. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. I'm afraid your coin is just damaged, having been gouged. The D mint mark is shows normal wear. The reason error coins are so special, and so fun to find, is that they are quite rare. The folks at the mint are pretty good at what they do most of the time. On the other hand, errors, especially the minor ones, occur often enough that they are not impossibly rare, which makes it fun to look. Some fairly common errors are brand new dimes with small die chips, appearing as small lumps in Roosevelt's hair or face, and sometimes in the devices on the reverse. Because they are not rare they are not worth a lot more than a dime, if anything, but they are errors. Sometimes it is hard to know what is an error and what is damage. The more you learn about how coins are made, the easier it is to tell the difference. Rule of thumb, if it looks cut, especially if there is even a little metal pushed up on the edge of the cut, it is damage.

Happy hunting!

5. Yvon

Yvon New Member

Thank you for honesty this is how I am going to learn. Appreciate your response.

Coins4Eli likes this.
  6. Yvon

Yvon New Member

Thank you so much I am loving it hope to find my first error soon.

Neal likes this.
  7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT

8. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Welcome to CoinTalk. As the others have told you, your quarter is damaged.

I just wanted to clarify that Doubled Dies or Hub Doubling is not the result of the coin being struck twice. The die itself is doubled. This means that each and every coin struck with that die will show the same doubled look.

http://doubleddie.com/58201.html

Spark1951 likes this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Go to: error-ref.com …it has a lot of information about what constitutes a real error. Remember that there are errors but there are also varieties, like re-punched mint-marks and doubled dies…RPMs and DDs are errors but called varieties because they are errors in workmanship. A lot of true errors are coins created from mis-haps with the stamping press. It will be clearer to you once you read it…imo…Spark

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello.
    Keep this in mind. Not everything that looks different, weird or strange is automatically a mint error. There are many ways coins can become damaged or altered during circulation. It's going to take a long time to learn the differences. We are here to help!

Welcome to Cointalk

VistaCruiser69 and Inspector43 like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

@Yvon

And not everything that looks like a true error, is.

These two are not mint errors. There are many sources of things that look like legit errors, that are not.

The more you learn, the wiser you will be.

Z

for labels.jpg 1955 DDO - obverse.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted