Cud?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Justin L, Apr 18, 2024.

?

Is this a cud?

1. Yes, get graded

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, worthless

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Yes, but don’t grade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justin L

Justin L New Member

Is this wheatie a cud error? And if so would it be worth getting graded? I know it has some wear to it. The spot I’m referring to is where the date normally would be but is covered up by whatever it is. It is raised and starts by Lincoln at the lowest point and gains height as it gets closer to the edge. Penny weighs 2.96g

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I'm thinking it's not much of a mint error. It appears to be severe corrosion on the coin, but the question is if what you think is a cud is actually raised on the coin. If so, it may be a cud, but if not, then it's likely just deep pitting.

4. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

So damaged I can’t see a CUD if one is there. Not worth grading IMHO. Would be a waste of money.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

I think it's just a blob of debris. Try removing it with a tooth pick.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L New Member

Over top where the date is. It’s huge. I’m not sure why you can’t see it. I added more pictures that may help.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L New Member

I have already tried to remove it. It is definitely metal and definitely attached to the coin. I added more photos that will hopefully help.

8. Justin L

Justin L New Member

What I believe may be a cud is raised and is like a hill almost with the part that’s on the edge of the coin being the highest point.

9. Justin L

Justin L New Member

Also it is a copper penny and it is my understanding that copper cannot corrode.

10. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

What? That's all it does if you let it.
    Also, this whole coin is PMD. Nothing more Sir. Put it to rest. Trust us so we can help you.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks raised but that’s not a cud. It looks like something like gunk is on the coin. It’s too damaged to grade and if it was in perfect condition a cud is not worth the fees to have it graded.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

If it was a Cud there would not be a strike imprint (wheat stalk) on the reverse of the cud. It looks like someone added the raised blob to your coin, like solder.
    Which renders the coin damaged and of no value.

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  13. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Not a cud, it's PMD, with someone tinkering with it.

14. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I don't think it is worth the fees to have graded. It won't straight grade.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@Justin L
    Alurid gave the best reasoning in my opinion. When a chunk of the die face breaks off, and a coin is struck the metal from the planchet try's to fill in the void of the die face.
    When that happens the details on the opposite side of the missing chunk of die does not strike up.
    It is not a cud.

alurid likes this.
  16. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

No, just no. Lol. I wouldn't be able to tell, very damaged.

17. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Most likely some type of glue/adhesive blobbed on the obverse of the coin or severely disfigured due to corrosion.

18. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

It is a damaged coin. May have been exposed to flux and some solder and that is why the area is raised and date covered. Soak in acetone to see is it is glue as others have suggested. If ambitious and curious, see if it is solder by heating the coin to remove the solder.

Still a cent doing its job.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Could be a cud, but they aren't that rare and not worth grading. Perhaps @paddyman98 who knows errors could chime in.

20. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

They could be rare on quality condition coins. But the coin in this thread is beat hard. Even if it were an actual cud, the condition of this specific coin counter values the suspect cud.

21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

If it were a true Cud there would be weakness in the strike on the opposite side. Looking at the pictures of the reverse the strike looks normal.

The reason it would be weak is because the metal from the Planchet would flow into such a big void. Causing less surface for the planchet to be properly struck.

So my answer is no it is not a Cud.

What is it with all these new collectors wanting to send everything off for grading?
    So weird o_O

And this goes to all the newbies.. you can send any coin for grading. But if you think you have a mint error or variety you also have to pay a separate fee for Attribution. You don't get your money back if it isn't attributed as error or variety!

Kevin Mader and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted