Crying Tuskegee Airmen

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Yvon, May 1, 2024.

1. Yvon

Yvon New Member

This is my 2nd find as a newbie. It clearly looks like he is crying, and about to wipe
    his tears located under his left eye. I believe it to be die errors and not damaged
    quarter. Would appreciate any comments.
    My son is an airforce pilot so I find this to be very touching and special. If an error,
    what do you think value is ?
    IMG_4387[1229].jpg IMG_4388[1230].jpg

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Yvon, welcome to CT, your portal to, collectively, hundreds of years of experience & expertise. I viewed both of your coins & neither is an error; they are both post Mint (read: circulation) damage (damage occurring after they left the Mint). Sorry!

Significant errors found in circulation are really quite rare, but not unheard of; do yourself a great favor & buy a Red Book (check Amazon for a used ones - you should be able to find some only a year or 2 old for under $10). This will help you greatly in understanding the main elements of collecting, coin conditions, errors, etc.

Good luck & have fun with it!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  4. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

Again, note the marks are depressions with a little raised metal on the rim. They are also similar to other marks scattered around the coin. Good hunting!

5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

These are called “contact marks” and are gouges made from contact with other coins…there are some on the forehead and chin as well…imo…Spark

paddyman98 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Just plain old Damage. Hit from another coin as explained. biggrin.gif

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Yvon

Yvon New Member

8. Yvon

Yvon New Member

thanks for book recommendation I will definitely get one. Hopefully find my first error coin soon

PlanoSteve likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I would definitely watch some videos on the minting process as well not to mention sites like Error-ref.com.

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Don't assume that it is not damaged. Just ask the question and we will do our best to answer.

It is not an error.
    But question for you. Are you starting this new hobby thinking you will be able to sell errors and make a lot of money?
    Well let me tell you. Most of the common errors you will find in circulation have very little or no premium at all.
    Don't be fooled by high priced items you might see on eBay. Those are either people who know absolutely nothing about true errors or scams!

Peace

Cheech9712 and Spark1951 like this.
  11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I agree with Paddyman, if you want to search for errors for enjoyment, thrill of the hunt or build a collection by all means go for it. A moneymaker it is not though, even many dramatic looking errors aren't all that valuable, and things like die chips and cracks don't really have any value at all unless a certain one gets hyped like drooling George or some such.

12. Yvon

Yvon New Member

Decided to start new hobby, tired of doing puzzles. I truly enjoy looking at coins. iTS A NEW WORLD. Trying to keep mind sharp. But, if I happen to get lucky with
    coin worth a little cash it wouldnt hurt. Thanks for reply.

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

25 cents. But one to save for sure. Go Air Force

1stSgt22 likes this.
  14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Nothing wrong with that, but before looking for coins, study up so you know what to look for. Sites like error-ref.com, varietyvista.com, doubleddie.com will help you immensely. Looking for coins without knowing what to look for is like doing a puzzle with no picture on it, with no idea how the pieces go. Good luck!

Spark1951 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted