Are these cleaning scratches?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by MrZun, May 2, 2024.

1. MrZun

MrZun New Member

Sorry for my bad english. I have this portuguese 400 reis from 1815. It seams It was cleaned by a professional. Still, It has some scratches only on this part of the coin, could this have happened while the person was cleaning It. The coin also became a LOT darker after some time in my collection, became even better :p. The scratches are close to the little castles and a bit at the bottom of the crown, and they seam to follow the same way. The other part of the coin dont have any.

Attached Files:

Cheech9712 and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Welcome! I'm sorry, but I can't see the scratches. Perhaps a magnified image? I probably couldn't determine how the scratches occurred anyway. Nice coin!

MrZun likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Back in the early 1800s, coins were only money and almost no one thought they should be saved in good shape as of today. My family has some old early European and US coins and several have nail holes in them as was their custom of nailing on the wall or door frame. If I saw that coin of yours in a coin shop , it would be hard to miss, a few scratches would not be a problem.Enjoy it. Jim

MrZun and Neal like this.
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, those scratches are not the result of someone cleaning the coin incorrectly. There are many ways they could have occurred during the life of the coin but it wasn't from a harsh/improper cleaning.

MrZun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted