Amazing South Carolina Slave Token at Auction! :*¨¨*:·. (ツ)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, May 2, 2024.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Big money shocking amount of money, I even bid on it but c'mon I don't have deep pockets to stay in this race, besides I already have one! :smuggrin: Where it ends nobody knows, fascinating Token cause it's German silver and pre-civil war at 1846! Price is at $2503 as of this writing, bottom two pics is my Token I bought years ago. :D Feel free to bid! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204766013018

silverwilbura.jpg silverwilburb.jpg wilbura.jpg wilburb.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Cool Token! I think that I'll stick to bus tokens though. If I had the money, maybe. Does it come with a tag too. It should. wink.png

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I would love to add one of those to my collection. And just for consumption..... The Charleston slave market facility still exists. It is now outfitted as a very large flea market/fashion shopping sort of place. It is THE place to go if you visit Charleston.

Heavymetal likes this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

These pieces are not that rare. The trick is to find one in nice condition. The story is a bunch of them were dumped in the Charlestown Harbor and recovered. They have saltwater damage. I had one decent one when I was dealer and sold it. I have one somewhere in my books, but I guess I didn't grab a photo.

6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I've never seen this piece before and I live in Charleston! (I don't really focus on local numismatic history, however).

I will say though, slave badges sometimes fetch crazy prices. I was at a local show where a guy was showing his collection, describing each piece, what it meant, and told the prices.... it was truly an education.

Heavymetal likes this.
  7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

This is not a slave badge. It is an advertising token for a slave auction house.

Slave badges were provided to slaves who were loaned out by their masters. The real thing is rare, and from what I hear, there are many fakes. If you get involved with them, you need to be very careful.

8. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Here's a pic of mine graded, definitely not as nice as German silver but it fits in my collection nicely. I hate that ANACS tagged it corroded but it is what it is! :D Dang, I messed up, slab number is 7524141! :smug:

https://portal.anacs.com/Verify/CertVerification.aspx

wilbura.jpg

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, I understand that. I was trying to relate the OPs piece to something I had seen before. I was unfamiliar with that trade token, so I was relating it to something adjacent.

Draft saved Draft deleted