2004 Texas state quarter error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jarksmyworld, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Hi everyone! I found this 2004 Texas state quarter and on the reverse side there is a raised line from rim thru the state and star.
    Is this a die crack or possibly any other type of error? Also on the obverse side a possible die crack from the base of his neck ti the u
    Your input is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
    Mark1971 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The reverse is a scratch, the obverse is a die crack. That location is a very common area for those small cracks, indicates the die is near the end of its useful life. There is no premium for the die crack and the scratch is a big negative…imo…Spark

VistaCruiser69 and Jarksmyworld like this.
  4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Yes, certainly looks like a "scratch". I don't see anything on the obverse however.
    Post Mint Damage.

VistaCruiser69 and Jarksmyworld like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The good news is you have a die crack at the left side base of Washington’s neck going to the U in QUARTER. The bad news is the other side has a huge scratch. It’s only worth a quarter as that scratch is so long.

Jarksmyworld likes this.
  6. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

@Spark1951 @SensibleSal66 @Collecting Nut
    Thank you all for your input bummed it's not a first find lol
    I looked at that quarter a million times and was not 100% sure on the reverse a scratch or die crack so thank you all that's one less coin in my hundreds confirmed

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Jarksmyworld, OK, I guess I'll jump in here on what I see based on your pics & statement.

You stated the line on the reverse (the state/star side) is raised. This would be consistent with a die crack, since if the die itself is cracked, when the coin is "squeezed" in the minting process, metal is forced into that crack, resulting in extra metal (ie, raised line) on the coin. Your pic & statement seem to validate that & is an excellent die crack example! :singing:

Now on the obverse (George's profile), your pic is not adequate to verify, but I am inclined to believe that is a scratch. If you take a very close look (perhaps with a magnifying glass) if that line is incuse (into the coin, as if material was removed), that would strongly indicate a mere scratch. :(

Nevertheless, it appears you have a nice example of a die crack; worth 25 cents if you spend it, or more valuable to you if you keep it in your collection/accumulation! :happy:;)

Jarksmyworld and Cheech9712 like this.
  8. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I'm not too sure that that's a scratch. After zooming in, it actually looks like a massive die crack, as I believe it's raised. There are definitely some deep nicks, but there appears to be 2 die cracks.

Jarksmyworld and Cheech9712 like this.
  9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Look again. Die cracks are not that long and straight. They can be long, just not straight at the same time. It looks raised because you’re seeing displaced metal.

Jarksmyworld and Spark1951 like this.
  11. Jarksmyworld

Jarksmyworld Member

Thanks guys I agree with it's a die crack lol but it is really hard to determine I still suck at this 5 urs plus and still a newbie SMH
    I will see if I can get a better Pic if that
    Also @PlanoSteve I will definitely check that scratch or not on the obverse and see if I can get a better Pic as well

PlanoSteve likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted