Which one of those two gold coins do you like most?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, May 19, 2024.

?

Which one of those two gold coins do you like most?

1. A

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. B

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Don't know / I like them both equally.

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

Roman Empire (or rather "The Eastern Roman/Byzantine Empire") under the reign of Zeno (476-491 AD). Both those two coins are the same type and have same weight.

Obv: D N ZENO PERP AVG, helmeted, pearl-diademed, cuirassed, facing bust, holding spear in right hand behind head and shield decorated with horseman on left arm.

Rev.: VICTORIA AVGGG[officina number], Victory, winged, draped, standing right, supporting long jeweled cross; star in right field; CONOB in exergue.

Minted in Constantinople.

RIC 911 & 929; Hahn 7; Depeyrot 108/1.

And NOT my coins.

Which one would you pick if you could choose:

A:
    a.jpg

B:
    b.jpg

Bing likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I like one side on each coin so I went both.

Joshua Lemons likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Both have their issues, but I would side with one, because the legends are stronger, even though the standing figure on the reverse is eh. I like the stronger legends/strike.

5. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I think the modeling on the obverse of B is better. It is also more of threequarters view, compared to the first coin, A. Artistically, B is better, though A's reverse is very nice (and better struck overall), but the obverse's appeal is the most important factor in my view.

nerosmyfavorite68 and sand like this.
  6. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

I like A because it is better struck overall.

nerosmyfavorite68 likes this.
  7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I like A better because the legends are clearer and the imperial crown Zeno is wearing is better struck

8. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

As much as I like the surfaces of coin A, the profile of the bust is the most important element for me, and coin B has a really nice expressive one. However, given it's a common emperor, I'd wait for one with both better surfaces and the bust.

sand and Coins4Eli like this.
  9. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

For me, given the nearly equal pro's and con's of the two, the presence of a complete and readable exergue on "A" tips it into a favored position.

Draft saved Draft deleted