What's up with this Gold Eagle surface...?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by KeyHunter, May 19, 2024.

1. KeyHunter

KeyHunter Supporter! Supporter

I'm strolling through e*ay and this raw American Gold eagle catches my eye. I have never seen one with this awful a surface.

This granular surface looks to have been cleaned, sandblasted, corroded...any ideas? Some of the lettering looks messed up - at first I thought it might be a fake.

Any ideas? gold eagle mess1.PNG gold eagle mess2.PNG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I'm not too familiar with authenticity of gold eagles containing lettered dates, but the coin looks circulated and possibly cleaned. I may be totally wrong, though, as some circulated coins, especially AU-58s, can have incredible surfaces, at times qualifying for PL to DMPL.

If you're looking to buy it, I would contact the seller to see if they can send a picture of it laser-testing as real gold (the date showing on the other end). :)

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Definitely looks fake and there's a lot wrong with it! :oops: Look at her arm, give me a fricken break, glad you noticed something was wrong! lol.gif

KeyHunter and Neal like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Why even consider this one. There are so many to choose from that CD are way better looking.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Former pocket piece?

7. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

In my experience, pocket pieces tend to wear to a smooth surface, not barely worn details with rough surfaces.

KeyHunter and green18 like this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I am so thankful to have a favorite coin shop that will show you the XRF result of any gold he is offered or is selling to you in person. I have seen lines outside the shop waiting. People waiting to sell to eat and people ready to load up on gold or silver. I wish all shops did.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

+1 for fake

KeyHunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted