Volusian or Valerian I

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by -monolith-, Mar 27, 2024.

1. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Can someone please clarify whether this coin is Volusian or Valerian I:

lot 457.jpg
    Pisidia, Antioch:
    The inscription seems to indicate Volusian and is indicated as such in Krzyżanowska VIII/40-58 = SNG 1325 (Volusian). However RPC Online RPC X, (unassigned; ID 85134) indicates this reference needs to be corrected to Valerian I.

I have another Pisidia, Antioch that is clearly identifiable as Valerian I and has a much different obverse inscription:
    lot 526.jpg
    Krzyżanowska II/10; RPC Online - RPC X, — (unassigned; ID 63317).

What do you think? Is the first coin actually Volusian and mislabeled as Valerian I on the RPC Online database?

Orange Julius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Ugh… I hate these (joking… sorta, nice coin!)
    I have 4 that have been sitting in my “to-do” tray for YEARS and have not yet found a definitive attribution.
    Their attribution, from the “research” I’ve done, is up in the air. I was convinced they were Volusian last I remember… but then see references to Valerian everywhere too. The engraver was obviously illiterate and making it up as he went. Let me know when you figure it out!

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/he...olusianus-from-antiochia.392244/#post-8179149

https://www.jstor.org/stable/42665070?read-now=1&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  4. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

????????????? I see what you mean. All those articles, and even comments from the "experts" like Doug and Curtis, still were not definitive. I suppose since RPC is listing it as Valerian (corrected from Volusian) that's what I will catalogue it as.

Orange Julius likes this.
  5. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Haha, it’s been awhile since I’ve read that thread… it’s likely that those answers came after I’d given up. I’ll have to go back and reread it. I do have 4 or 5 of these floating around. I’ll have to dig them out and finally catalog them!

Draft saved Draft deleted