This is Why The USPS is Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -monolith-, Apr 27, 2024.

1. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

upload_2024-4-27_10-25-59.png
    I ordered a coin from Canada, it shouldn't take two or more weeks and have to travel thru multiple USPS processing centers to arrive in a major city. Why can't they just fly it directly to a major city?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

That stinks. It's bankrupt because of the pension funding thing.

It's still better than being broken or destroyed. If I order a coin via priority mail, it's guaranteed to be run over by a Panzer King Tiger. Priority is the pits.

My Canadian orders take about 1.5 to 2 weeks.

Dan Galbato, Jeffjay and Heavymetal like this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, consider that, according to the tracking you posted, it was in Canada for the first 4 days; and then it is coming in from "out of country", so there's probably extra steps involved...& today (4/27) would be 4 days @ USPS.

Many times, many of us don't appreciate the massive amount of shipments processed by not only the USPS, but also the premium services like FedEx, UPS, & DSL, etc.

Frustrating, yes, but do you remember when it took weeks to get a letter from NY to San Francisco? (albeit, that involved horses & trains :p)

(Btw, lest you think I'm a postal employee, my only work for the US government was active duty Army, 1971-78; I am currently retired.) :)

5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I don't see a big issue with this as it had to go through customs first. It's not like it sat in Chicago for a week.

6. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Another problem is their so-called "overnight service." My wife and I have had two packages delivered for free because they could not fulfil their promise to get it there overnight. If they fail, you file for a full refund.

nerosmyfavorite68 likes this.
  7. -monolith-

I order coins from European auctions all the time. It typically only takes 3-4 days for FedEx deliveries and 3-4 weeks for USPS deliveries. Canadian orders are usually about 1/2 that time. The USPS seems to be extremely inefficient on logistics.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  8. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Folks complain about the post office all the time but I think they are awesome. I have shipped and received hundreds of items through USPS and have only had a few minor problems.

imrich, Dan Galbato and fretboard like this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Customs, it has to clear customs. That’s why it can’t be flown to the nearest major city. Be patient and you’ll receive it faster.

Muzyck likes this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I get refunds on about 1/3 of Express Mail stuff.

11. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Is it something that you are going to die if you don’t have in 10 days?

I feel like everyone expects instant gratification when they buy something. If you don’t want to wait for packages then don’t order internationally. That or just take a chill pill and relax - if it’s a coin I don’t see the huge rush to have something immediately.

rte, Dan Galbato and Jeffjay like this.
  12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

That's a strange question,i thought the average for U.S items is 5-7 days and foreign is double that,want it faster?get a time machine!!!.

Jeffjay likes this.
  13. Dan Galbato

Dan Galbato Well-Known Member

what is the price difference between the two? For my money, USPS has always been my go to service.

14. Dan Galbato

I agree! I even tip my mailman every Xmas and thank him for all the bills he brings! lol

imrich and Jeffjay like this.
  15. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Certainly is taking longer than it used to, but thankfully not as bad as when COVID was at it's peak!
    I was amazed when I ordered a coin from Sweden once and they shipped it by FedEx. It was at my home 3 days later!

Dan Galbato likes this.
  16. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I recognize the UPS guy and the FedEx guy.
    The USPS mail person changes all the time.
    Either subs or people out sick? Changing routes? Who knows... everyone of them is on the phone while delivering the mail :rolleyes: most likely talking with their buddies about what they do on their off time or the problems they are having with whoever.
    The majority can't multitask as evidenced by my mail ending up with my neighbors on both sides of my address.
    It's gotten bad enough that we get an email of what's supposed to be coming that day.
    If it's deemed important and if I catch the postal worker, I'll ask about something that didn't hit the box.

17. -monolith-

No big deal, just pointing out why our federal postal system is bankrupt. Perhaps it has something to do with why USPS (public mail) takes 3-4 weeks for deliveries and FedEx (private mail) only takes 3-4 days for packages being sent from the same location on the same day. Both have to clear customs and be sent to the final destination. One is extremely inefficient by sending it thru multiple branches before reaching it's final designation while the other sends it directly to it's final designation.

rte likes this.
  18. Dan Galbato

I’ve seen some amazing deliveries from Fed ex and UPS over the years. Stuff chucked over a fence, slammed on the ground, damaged, destroyed and even loss at times. The USPS has a few flaws but don’t they all? lol

Jeffjay likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

I’ve seen a video of a postal employee toss 3 large computer boxes out of their window. He broke all three, the computer, the monitor and the printer. The person was fired.

20. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

21. Collecting Nut

Speaking of the postal service, I’m waiting patiently but I’m not holding my breath. The first package was lost. A second package was shipped from California to Pennsylvania. The first still has not appeared and is considered stolen. The second was is scheduled to be delivered today, according to the tracking number. My mail came 5 hours ago and no package.
    Tracking shows it’s in New Jersey. It should not go to New Jersey for any reason. Harrisburg yes and even Baltimore but not New Jersey. That’s about 175 miles past me. Hopefully it will arrive one day soon. It’s already taken 9 days but seems like forever due to the first pack being lost.
    And yes, it contains coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted