Question about a 1909 Barber quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Okay, I know I shouldn't be spending money on auctions, but I was told I can't take it with me, so I might as well enjoy myself spending it.
    I've been spending time on little auction houses, putting in ridiculous bids, and winning some. I just received one of the latest wins; a Walking Liberty half, Barber Head quarter, and a Barber Head dime (I've never dealt with Barber coins, but why do they call them Barber Head, when it is the head of Lady Liberty?). Anyway, I got the group for $9, which is below melt for them. So, I looked them over and see an anomaly that I can't figure out, so I'm reaching out to you guys for opinions.
    The quarter has an outline around the head. Not just one side, but like a halo around the entire head. I did a quick search of errors, but my medications are clouding my brain, so help me out here.
    IMG_1599.jpg IMG_1600.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks to be a scratch to me, but if you got the lot for under melt, you're doing well. They just kept the namesake of the designer I guess as to why they call them Barber coinage.

PamR likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I believe it's an alteration. Considered coin graffiti.

SensibleSal66 and Spark1951 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think I've ever heard them called that.
    Only as Barber Dime and Barber Quarter.. But the designer is..

Charles Edward Barber (November 16, 1840 – February 18, 1917) was an American coin engraver who served as the sixth chief engraver of the United States Mint from 1879 until his death in 1917.

Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

If you got all 3 for $9 bucks, there's nothing wrong with your mind! Good score MM

7. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

to Add if he had his way, we'd probably never seen a Morgan or Saint coin either!

PamR, Spark1951 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is an absolute fact.

PamR and David Betts like this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

For all members…Wikipedia has an excellent article titled “Barber Coinage”.

Barber was Chief Engraver for 38 years, did the dime, quarter and half dollar. His design was everywhere for a long, long time. Six-pointed stars on the obverse, five-pointed stars on the reverse…lots of good to know stuff.
    …Spark

10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Tooled/scratched. Looks like somebody had too much time on their hands in History class while waiting for the pizza to be delivered.

Draft saved Draft deleted