Has anyone sent a coin in for grading that came back with a scratch?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jafo50, Apr 27, 2024.

1. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

I sent in an 1877 Indian Head Cent to get graded. This coin was an AG to G3 at best and had 150+ years of normal patina on it. It came back "Details Scratched" with a fresh shiny new scratch on the obverse. I didn't take any before photos so there is no evidence that this was done at the grader but I'm confident that is left my possession intact.

Has anyone had this experience and is there any recourse?

Joe

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There have been a few reports of something like this in the past but it's not very common. There is really not a way to know who was at fault.

jafo50 likes this.
  4. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

I totally agree with you but it's frustrating especially on a key date coin.

5. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I certainly appreciate your frustration. But I always take photos of all my coins, not just those sent away. Several hi-res photos with differing lighting can go a long way toward substantiating your claims.

I remember attending a Project Management course and the instructor emphasized the importance of keeping records, any records. The situation he used to illustrate the point was that of a construction litigation case in which the construction company's site superintendent wrote his daily log in pencil on his grease-stained lunch bags and then "filed" them in the space behind his truck's seat. When the case came to court, his company presented those records in evidence and won the case because the other side didn't have any records at all.

6. -monolith-

-monolith- Supporter! Supporter

Could have occurred during shipping, however more likely at the grading service company. What grading company did you use?

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s a shame when that happens.

8. Millard

Millard Coindog

First time I had coins graded I took 8 coins to the FUN Show and turned them over for grading. Among those was a brilliant proof-like 1879 S Morgan, pride of the group. Weeks later they all arrived in the mail and the Morgan had a Details-Damaged/Scratched label and had a LARGE scratch across the field in front of Libertys face. Now I hand carried that coin and handed it directly to the grading organization. I too was naive in that I also didn't take prior photos. I challenged the handling of the coin and they denied it and insisted that was the way it was received. My thoughts on the matter regardless how ridiculous it sounds
    is they didn't scratch my coin but replaced it with a scratched coin and kept my coin for themselves. This was one of the three major graders. I no longer solicit their services.

jafo50 likes this.
  9. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Not scratched, but a similar feeling, to be sure . . .

Many years ago I won an 1869-S H10c in a Teletrade auction, received it while away from home, and couldn't return it because my return privilege had expired. I was unhappy with the grade because it had too many marks in focal areas to be correct, sent it to the TPG for a grading guaranty, and got it back unchanged, with the explanation that they believed the grade to be correct. Another $30 down the tube.

I wrote them complaining that I had coins 2 grades lower that looked superior, and they replied that I should send it back in to an executive I will not name, with the assurance that he would personally handle the free re-examination.

I got the coin back in a new holder, but with the same grade as previously assigned. I was upset . . . Why? . . . because the coin had been stripped of its toning, and returned naked white, without even asking for my permission to do so.

This is an old story, circa 2000 . . . they probably don't handle things this way anymore, but that was an unpleasant experience that I cannot forget . . . especially since selling that coin at a notable loss.

Nevertheless, I still use that grading service today for the majority of my submissions, as I think they offer the best overall value to collectors and dealers alike.

jafo50, Randy Abercrombie and charley like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

People chide me all the time because I have a construction supply business and every office is full of filing cabinets. I get asked all the time why everything and I do mean everything done digitally gets backed up with a paper file. After three years they go in bankers boxes to be store in the spider room (named that for a reason)…… Yeah, it’s the age we live in. Have to keep records of everything.

ldhair, jafo50, -jeffB and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted