Foreign Currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jim Dale, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I served a mission for our Church 1966-1968 in Uruguay. I had a great collection of currency that I brought home. My wife threw away the Uruguayan coins, but I was able to salvage ten $10 Peso bills. It has been protected by the currency envelopes. I have ten of them in numerical sequence and are in pristine condition. I'm sure they are worth much, but I would like to find out the best way to collect and protect them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Pictures would be nice.

I was in Buenos Aires Argentina in 2009. I visited Colonia De Sacramento, Uruguay on a one day trip via ferry. Beautiful town!

Jim Dale and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

If you had a scan or photo it would help.

Hey Jim, I'd check out the BNM (Banknote Museum) to identify your note. You can also try NUMISTA but it would help to know the Pick # (catalogue # to ID note). They're likely P-37 or P-42. Then you can look the Nation: Uruguay & P# up on eBay (in Coins & Banknotes) to see what they're selling for.

Good luck!

Jim Dale likes this.
  5. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Thank you. I'm not good at posting pictures, but I will try to check out all the numbers or codes to see what I need to do to find if they have any value. The exchange rate when I got them in 1967 was ten cents.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I visited Uruguay in the early 2000s and collected some currency from there. Nice country and good food.

Here are some Uruguayan bills I have from 1967:
    Uruguay100Pesos_1967_01.png Uruguay100Pesos_1967_02.png Uruguay5000Pesos_1967_01.png Uruguay5000Pesos_1967_02.png

While visiting, this was my favorite circulating bill:
    Uruguay5Pesos_1998_01.png
    Uruguay5Pesos_1998_02.png

And no, most Uruguayan bills aren't worth very much. But, like for every other collectible, rarities do exist.

techwriter likes this.
  7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Nice notes. Here's the only example I have of Uruguayan currency.
    rdr_Uruguay_1867_20Doblones_404_face.jpg

Notaphylic_C and NOS like this.
  8. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted