Early Proof Set Packaging

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coins4Eli, May 20, 2024.

1. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

I am currently in the process of putting together a 1908 proof set, I was wondering how they were distributed from the mint. All comments appreciated! :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Best Answer
    Before 1936, there was no such thing as a "proof set." Collectors could write to the mint, or visit the mint in person, and buy proofs for a small premium. You could mix and match, get five pennies, 3 dimes, 6 quarters. That is why the mintages are all different (if they were a set, they would all have roughly the same mintage).

Any velvet case or holder would have been custom built, or bought from a store.

There are a few exceptions for presentation sets, such as the famous aluminum set, or the King of Siam set. But most proofs were sold as singles.

coin dog, ToughCOINS, GH#75 and 8 others like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am a history nut and asked this very same question when I joined the forum.... I am going from memory (and that aint saying much), but as i recall the way I was told is that in the days before the ply-cello paper stuff that proof coins were presented in a velvet lined box sort of affair.

Pickin and Grinin and Coins4Eli like this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Best Answer
    Before 1936, there was no such thing as a "proof set." Collectors could write to the mint, or visit the mint in person, and buy proofs for a small premium. You could mix and match, get five pennies, 3 dimes, 6 quarters. That is why the mintages are all different (if they were a set, they would all have roughly the same mintage).

Any velvet case or holder would have been custom built, or bought from a store.

There are a few exceptions for presentation sets, such as the famous aluminum set, or the King of Siam set. But most proofs were sold as singles.

coin dog, ToughCOINS, GH#75 and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted