a very rare scythian coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

This is probably one of the rarest coins in my collection from a well known series, the indo scythian empire.
    The coin belongs to a fairly popular king, Maues, of whom there are plenty of coins around in various forms. This type however is one I had not seen before, and I found 5 other specimens after extensive searching on public catalogues.

maues.jpg
    maues2.jpg

Overall the coin is in immaculate condition as well, The red patches seem to be either a natural effect due to coins from a certain location (as i have seen a bunch of other coins with the same patina style) or is a result of a specific cleaning technique.

What we are looking at on the Obverse is Zeus standing, holding a sceptre which ends in what is assumed to be a lotus bud in some references, and extending his right arm, he holds a torc, a kind of neck ring. (typical of Maues coins)
    Greek legend: Basileos Basileon Megalou Mauou

On the reverse however, we have an anonymous male figure, draped, seemingly holding some kind of stick? or thats just his muscles, and wearing what might be a kausia or a plieus. The monogram is really nice as well.
    Legend in Kharosthi/ - Rajatirajasa Mahatasa Moasa

Ref: Senior 18.1
    Maues, 125-85BC
    Indo scythian empire.

What do you guys think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great addition, never seen that type either.

4. Alfonso Hernandez

Alfonso Hernandez ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΦΩΝΣΟΥ

Have you checked coinindia.com?

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

My wondering is how do you get a square flan without a collar.

6. Muhammad Niazi

Coinindia is comprehensive but misses out on a few types of coins. I believe the owner uploads from his own collection.

Alfonso Hernandez likes this.
  7. Alfonso Hernandez

I thought Coinindia was from a university or other educational institution, I'm probably wrong because it does not have an "About us" page.

8. Muhammad Niazi

A better option which covers all the professional catalogues would be psindiandcoins.com

Ed Snible and Alfonso Hernandez like this.
  9. Alfonso Hernandez

Thank you!
    Btw, I'm told this one is a Mughal Aurangzeb, can you tell me what it says?
    PXL_20240308_185217449.jpg PXL_20240308_185201976.jpg

10. Alfonso Hernandez

Hello
    Is psindiancoins.com a safe site?
    I get a warning when I try to go to it.
    Thank you.

11. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

It's a safe site. I know the operator. The site is run by Paul Stevens, author of The Coins of the English East India Company. He builds it all by hand, 1995-style, and does not use SSL certificates.

The site doesn't ask you for any login, personal information, or anything like that. It is just coin information and Javascript menus.

12. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Pankaj Tandon is a private collector and scholar. He has a vcoins store, and runs the American branch of the Oriental Numismatic Society. It is an educational institution with international reach, but not affiliated with a college or university. I once gave a lecture on Nabataean coinage at their annual meeting at NYINC.

Here is a link to the ONS.

Draft saved Draft deleted