1968 S Penny - Grading

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Curt L, Mar 27, 2024.

1. Curt L

Curt L New Member

I have a 1968 S penny still shiny and red and in very good condition. Looking for help on approximate grade...I do not have a trained eye for the subtle wear signs that degrades the rating. Is this something worth getting graded?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Stain on reverse. Face value imo.

4. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

To be worth the grading fees it would have to be at least MS-67RD. And in my opinion it's only MS-64RB.

5. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I normally agree with the majority of your comments/responses, but I heartily disagree with your grade of MS64RB.

Knowing this year to be the last for that Master Die, I expect to see some softness, even mushy details…but the obverse has way too much evidence of circulation: I stopped counting at 12 contact marks and scratches. The reverse stain is a clear indicator of circulation. And the flattening of the left post and the right side steps is beyond normal die weakness ( imo ).

Be that as it may, the TPGs may give allowance for this last year die weakness as a matter of course, but not for circulation wear. I give it AU58+RB and not a TPG candidate…Spark

Mr. Numismatist and 1stSgt22 like this.
  6. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

Now that you mention it, it does look lightly circulated. Thanks for the pointers Spark!

Spark1951 likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Stain really affects the eye movement through it.

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20240327-223745.png
    If you want one graded, buy one graded for a few dollars.

Dan Galbato likes this.
  9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thats a good Circ find
    A lot of us saw those in regular circulation not more than 10 years ago. Throw it in a folder or album and upgrade it if you find one better.

10. Curt L

Curt L New Member

Thanks all....yes this is a circulated coin but in pretty good shape given it's age. I appreciate your insight as I am a newbie and looking to learn

Draft saved Draft deleted