Can you sell gold to a Bank?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by slackaction1, Jun 26, 2024 at 7:03 AM.

1. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

The Banker told me he has to have some kind of license or Paperwork to buy gold. Is he lying ?. Banks are in the dollar business, not the gold business. Not the right answer for me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

No. Not fibbing.

slackaction1 likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

In my state a business must have a license to buy and sell bullion. Much like a pawn shop, the business has to record the purchase and see your ID. You would also have to sign a declaration of ownership.

imrich and slackaction1 like this.
  5. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

Ok then, thank u all much,

6. charley

You are very welcome.

imrich likes this.
  7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

You can sell some kinds of gold to banks. Problem is that they don't pay very well for it:
    upload_2024-6-26_9-21-3.png

8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Yes but I'm pretty sure the person would be extremely surprised and gifted about how drunk you must've been to do so.U.S gold coins can be exchanged but as stated above the pay is pretty minimal:D.

Cherd likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

As people are fond of saying in the "bars vs. coins" discussions, "the coins will always be worth at least face value". At banks, that's all they're ever worth. And it's not great consolation for the silver you bought at 22x FV, never mind the gold you bought at 110x FV.

And if there's some future day when a double eagle's face value is higher than its metal value... well, I'd like to hear more about the twenty "dollars" that are buying it.

10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

It's territorial jurisdictional, as in Minnesota a buyer even needs to register and post a bond.

I believe every transaction is monitored/scrutinized by Government.

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

In most states I think you can but you’d loose a lot of money by doing so.

12. charley

Words mean something.
    The OP enquired concerning SELLING Gold to a Bank, not exchanging.
    To clarify, and add another No, the Bank can not accept the Gold, whether at the stated Face value on the Gold, or below the stated Face value on the Gold,, or over the stated Face value on the Gold.

In answer to a future whataboutism Notaphilist hypothetical, the same would apply to U.S. Currency. Yes, I know, the common name is "Banknotes". Tell the Bank to make you some.......

imrich and slackaction1 like this.
  13. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

A bargain at twice the price!

Cherd likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I was having a discussion about this with a friend.
    He asked how much an ASE is worth (or AGE)
    I said (example) .. you can buy it for $35, then immediately ask the store to buy it back and they'll say $28. But if you really need the money fast just take it to the bank as it has a denomination on it of $1.

Aren't there stories here of ppl who work in stores and someone comes in and uses a Morgan Dollar for $1 to buy something. There 'ya go. immediate cash !!

That one ounce gold eagle can buy you $20 worth of bread.
    but be careful, as a $2 bill can get you arrested .... at least until someone gets a clue ...

But .. if 'ya are selling I'd give 'ya $25 for each 1oz gold eagle (or any size really as I'm a generous person) lol

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 4:06 PM
  15. potty dollar 1878

Banks can accept old gold for face I've seen people get lucky and find morgan dollars with ikes or a person passes silver eagles to tellers and gold is the same.

16. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Iam not sure I want to take that kind of a loss…LOL

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This surprises me. I've spoke directly to tellers who took silver dollars at face value after trying to talk the owners into going to a coin store. I haven't seen anything indicating that gold coins are different (at least since 31-Dec-1974).

Can you point to the laws or rules that prohibit this?

18. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

HERE IS THE LEGAL U.S. CODE FOR BANKING TRANSACTIONS:

31 U.S. Code § 5103 - Legal tender

United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.

What tellers do illegally, and the legal tender @ face value required exchange. are 2 different matters. Bank management can't accept/distribute currency other than that denominated per U.S. Code.

As some have correctly stated here, who would establish the value of illegally traded tender?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024 at 10:39 PM
    slackaction1 and green18 like this.
  19. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You'd have to be nuts to try and turn gold in at a US bank......

-jeffB and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  20. potty dollar 1878

I didn't say anything about foreign.U.S gold and silver eagles which I see nothing that the bank can't accept.Gold was only illegal during the great depression times.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. potty dollar 1878

You'd be surprised,a few people on here have posted getting silver eagles for face at banks.Even some have said they acquired double eagles for face but that was probably 20+ years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted