Obsolete Capital Plastics coin holders

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ed Sims, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

Awhile back I acquired a Capital Plastics holder for the 40% silver issues only which is no longer being produced. It has ten holes one for each of the proof and uncirculated issues from 1971 to 1976. Today I got another obsolete holder made by Capital Plastics for the wartime coins. This one is made with a transparent green center panel, a color they don't offer anymore. It has openings for the steel cents, shell case cents of 1944 and 1945 and the 35% silver nickels. This holder was made at a time when only 1944 and 1945 were the years in the Red Book that was listed as being made with recycled shell cases. Here are pictures of both holders. ike-set.jpg wartime_coins_holder.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Sometimes it makes you wonder why folders made back in those days still look better than some of the modern packaging we get. I REALLY like them both and find them very, very impressive.

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Nice , I always liked the old Capital holders .

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I still have my Capital holder that housed the complete UNC set of Franklins, but I think they still make them. I also have the holders that formerly housed my ANA Convention 3-medal sets for the years 1969-1980.

Chris

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I've got an old Capital holder for a US type set.
    By "old" I mean Capital has replaced it with a newer version.
    The one I have is a 490-D.
    I keep thinking about listing it on eBay but since there's a newer version I think it would be a waste of time and money.

7. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Proof_Jeff_Capital Holder.jpg US_Type_Set_CENTS.jpg Starter $5 Indian set-100_2501 (600 x 450).jpg 1956_Proof_set_100_2853 (600 x 450).jpg 1959_Proof_set_100_2854 (600 x 450).jpg I have managed to snag a few good looking Capital Holders.

tibor and Ed Sims like this.
  8. Ed Sims

Very nice set of type cents.

I put in the three steel cents to see how they will look and when this holder is filled it will be awesome. I really like how the coins appear to be suspended in it.

wartime-cents.jpg

tibor and McBlzr like this.
  9. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

This one came with a collection I bought. Was in the original box. Was uber excited when I opened the box and seen it was complete! I'll be updating some of the coins.

image.jpg

jamor1960, McBlzr and jloring like this.
  10. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

I bought this holder on eBay (with the original box), filled it with common date Ikes I picked up for face at the bank (with duplicates) and flipped it on eBay for tidy profit.

[​IMG]

11. Ed Sims

These holders are no longer in production.

408-B

408-B.jpg

BVD-60 with 32 openings, the current BVD-60 has 37 openings. I have two one is filled with circulated coins and one is uncirculated and I need a Standing Liberty quarter and it will be completed.

bvd-60-circ.jpg

bvd-60-unc.jpg

From the 1960's to early 1970's a 451-N

591N.jpg

Also from the early 1970's a #460 in blue

460.jpg

I have more I'll post later so here is a preview

20th_century_holders.jpg

McBlzr and jloring like this.
  12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Very nice, Ed. The only problem I have with the larger holders is taking out (and putting back) the screws. Not only is it time consuming, but I always seem to lose a few screws (or barrels) and/or strip out the nylon threads. I keep a replacement pack of ten handy.

13. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

This right here is why i have no love for Capital Holders...those pesky screws. I dont have the patience to unscrew the dang things to add a coin every time i get a new one for the collection.

14. Ed Sims

Yes, removing and replacing the screws is an inconvenience so what I did was take all of the coins in the partially filled holders out and put them in 2x2's and keep them stored in an album, when I have almost all of the coins for a holder I fit check them, enlarge the openings as necessary and then place all of the coins in at one time. When I get all of the remaining coins needed I insert them all at one time so I only have to unscrew and screw the holder twice.

I have a few extra bags of replacement screws to replace the original ones which are yellowed and unsightly, or have stripped /split barrels.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  15. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Very impressive guys.

16. treylxapi47

Just remembered I have a Capital Holder for just 5 New Orleans minted Morgan Dollars. I have three in there right now, just looking for some particular BU 'O's to finish it with.

17. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

At one point I had many Capital holders, from cents thru dollars, most of them went along with the coins when I sold.

I frequently hear complaints about the screw posts on Capital holders. Haven't had a problem myself, but I only use a few ounces of torque when assembling. The holder just doesn't need to have the posts cinched down tightly, and no they don't come loose. But I've only been buying and using Capital holders since the early 1960's.

[​IMG]

Paddy54, BigTee44 and McBlzr like this.
  18. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

That's the key, and you do get a "feel" for it. Sometimes when I buy an older holder, the screws are torqued down to a point where the threads strip when I attempt to loosen them. That's why keeping a supply of these nylon fasteners nearby is important.

19. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Kind of getting away from the 'obsolete' aspect of the thread, but here's a 433J...

Mexican Gold.jpg

20. treylxapi47

I want one of those!

bdunnse likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Another way of solving the screw problem is to replace the nylon screws with aluminum binder posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted