Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by maverick75, May 23, 2005.

1. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

I have a U.S. coin that is from 1776. Its a 2 gram .999 silver coin. Its the size of a dime.Does anyone know how much its worth and would anybody consider buying it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. whoopig

whoopig New Member

There are no U.S. coins from 1776 since there was no U.S. in 1776. The earliest U.S. coinage is from the early 1790's. Please post a pic and maybe we canhelp identify it for you.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy maverick75 - Welcome to the Forum !!

Since you say it weighs 2 gm and is .999 silver - I suspect that you have a modern token. Many of these have been produced over the years and sold by various private mints.

Now as for a US coin from 1776 - technically no there is no such coin. But - there is a coin that was ordered issued by the Continental Congress in 1776. And for all practical purposes most people consider it to be a US coin - even if it is not technically correct to call it that. Continental Dollar

5. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

i remember it said usa on it but i cant find it anymore and it only had one side on it i will spend all week to find it and will try to post pic.

6. cdcda

cdcda New Member

The United States of America was first recognized as such in 1783 (I BELIEVE) and the United States Mint was not established until 1792. The first pattern coins struck by the mint were produced in 1792 and the first circulating coins were produced in 1793.

7. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

well i guess i have something rare i'll try to post a pic

8. cdcda

cdcda New Member

Unfortunately, it is more likely to mean that you have a commemorative medal of some kind issue, possibly in 1976. Look forward to your pictures.

9. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

i found the coin :D but my camera is still not working :mad: . heres what it sais exacly

"SILVER ISSUE
    2 GR
    FINE SILVER
    85285179"

I WAS WRONG ON THE U.S. PART.
    DO U GUYS THINKS ITS BRITISH? :confused:

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I still think the same thing I did before - it's a silver round/token of some kind of modern manufacture.

11. williamdtipton

williamdtipton New Member

It sounds like a silver bullion round.
    There are so many designs out there. Many to look just like a coin.
    I just got one that looks like a big buffalo nickle yesterday.

If it says 999 Fine Silver my guess is that these folks are right, its a silver round made for some commemorative reason.

The other number "85285179"" is most likely a serial number.

12. serpent

serpent Junior Member

If you go to "Whats It Worth", pg 6 of 36, to Colonial Currency, 1776, by: Serpent, you will see coin mentioned by GDJMSP and myself. Unfortunately, have not sent it in yet to be verified. If you go to the site GDJMSP, suggests you will see the coin there and some of the sells for them. I am really going need to send in, as my curiosity is really up now, after seeing the other coins/prices.

13. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

14. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Its hard to tell from the photos...I can't see much....But I'm going to agree that its a round...from what you have said and also I have never seen a coin that looked like what I could see of the photo.

Speedy

15. SilverDollarMan

SilverDollarMan Collecting Fool

Did anyone notice, that link is to a FREE pic hosting site? :)

Gilbert likes this.
  16. Cait

Cait New Member

yeah...its photobucket. i use it as well.

17. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

18. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

if that's your coin it is neither old nor rare. It is a modern bullion piece and its value is tied directly to its intrinsic value.

EDIT--your link isn't working...

19. maverick75

maverick75 New Member

thanx for the link info i just fixed it

what is a bullion anyways oh yeah if any of u Have Ford Mavericks or Mercury comets here is a good forum this is actually the place were i got the info on the coin

http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?p=146965#post146965

20. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Bullion is the term for metal sold by purity and weight. A great deal of gold and silver is bought and sold in the form of "rounds" or "ingots" of specified weights and purities. Bullion coins are legal tender coins issued at face values far below their worth as metal, such as the American Silver Eagles, Chinese Pandas, Canadian Maple Leafs, South African Kruggerands, and on and on and on.

If their information on cars is no better than their information on coins, its a good place to stay very far away from. :rolleyes:

So far as the one on EBay goes, it's just one more example of why bidding on auctions with a variation of the tag line "I know nothing about coins" is an invitation to being fleeced. :mad:

21. crane

crane New Member

I found some pics of these because I have come across two of them. But they are out of a money clip

Draft saved Draft deleted